S3 castor/camber adjustment

Mo-S3

Reaction score
I knowthis as probably been covered many times before but i need some clearer figures if possible..

Would it be ideal if the S3 had adjustable castor at the front? There is a kit available to allow for this if need be.

My tyres are getting worn now but the outsides are still ok but the insides are really bad.

What do i need to be telling the alignment guys what to set to?

I have coilovers fitted with adjustable tiebars at the rear.

The current rear setup loks like the wheels are tilting inwards at the top. Would it be better for this to brought back out to be 'vertically' level?

Finally im just looking for a bit more even tyre wear with still good levels of grip on hard cornering.

Thanks

[ QUOTE ]

Would it be ideal if the S3 had adjustable castor at the front? There is a kit available to allow for this if need be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you want more castor?
Are you confusing castor with camber?

[ QUOTE ]

My tyres are getting worn now but the outsides are still ok but the insides are really bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

That could be a camber problem...caused by too much negative camber - that would wear the inside edges, or cxaused by bad wheel alignment.
Do you do many dual carrigeway / morotway miles and not much back road driving?
If so, you may have a camber issue.

[ QUOTE ]

What do i need to be telling the alignment guys what to set to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough one....

[ QUOTE ]

I have coilovers fitted with adjustable tiebars at the rear.

[/ QUOTE ]

How low?
Lower than -20mm to -30mm

[ QUOTE ]

The current rear setup loks like the wheels are tilting inwards at the top. Would it be better for this to brought back out to be 'vertically' level?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not...
I found -0.5 degrees negative camber per side to be the best for grip and tyre wear on the rear.

I wouldn't put them to straight up and down as I would wreck the outside edges by hammering round corners...but if you generally use motorways etc you may want to set it to no negative camber...in saying that, you should be OK at -0.5 per side at the rear.

[ QUOTE ]

Finally im just looking for a bit more even tyre wear with still good levels of grip on hard cornering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without seeing the alignment figures it's hard to say what the problem is...
But more negative camber on the front will increase grip, but risk tyre wear on motorway journeys etc...

Less negative camber up front will wear the tyres less but offer less cornering grip.

Toe could be the problem...if your front toe setting is way off, you'll be wrecking tyres.

You did have the alignment set up after fitting the coilovers I assume?

If so, can you remember what it was set too?

thanks glen,
Car was setup after coilovers were fitted but the company who did it said they set it up that suited the car and not back to factory specs, what ever that meant.

I do mainly city driving with plenty of twisties too.

Car is lowered approx 40-50mm

Id rather keeo the higher grip but try to eliminate inner tyre wear as much as possible although i know its never going to be perfect. A more even wear patternt would suffice too rather than the excessive inner wear.

Should the adjustable tie bars at the rear be fitted to the lower place or the upper place. if you know what i mean. Although i have seen them on top and bottom on various cars.

thanks

[ QUOTE ]
thanks glen,

[/ QUOTE ]

My pleasure...

[ QUOTE ]

Should the adjustable tie bars at the rear be fitted to the lower place or the upper place. if you know what i mean. Although i have seen them on top and bottom on various cars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean...
I had mine fitted at the top as it made more sense strength wise, as far as I could see.
Although, it doesn't seem to matter much..