Clutch not working!

danger S3

Reaction score
So here's the story :crying: I have a 2001 Y reg S3 AMK with the stock map.
i had just been for a 30 minute drive, coming back into Edinburgh i pull up at some lights, as I'm pulling up i push the clutch down then as I'm slowing down the engine judders and cuts out (like i forgot to press the clutch) i took my foot off the clutch and the pedal was still at the floor.
4 ways on i rolled to the side of the road and had a look.
it doesn't look like the pedals snapped as there's no bits in the footwell.
the brake fluid is still at max so that's not pishing out anywhere.
most of the time when i press the pedal down it comes back up itself.
but when the pedal is pressed it does nothing, so if its in gear and i have the clutch down and goto start it the car lurches forwards.

whats the best way to diagnose the problem, I'm guessing it will be the master or slave cylinder

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Ali

Sounds like slave cylinder - gearbox off job :(

Scullies that's not what i want to hear haha. damn.
what are the chances it could be the master cylinder and how could i check which it is?
if i clamp the flexy hose before it gets to the hard metal pipe and the T piece bleed nipple would that be a way of seeing if its the master cylinder? like if the pedal then goes hard the master cylinders working and its the slave?

think u may unfortunately be right Scullies
ok i clamped the rubber hose going from the master cylinder to the T piece and pressed the clutch and it was rock hard, pretty sure that means the master cylinder is ok and its the slave or the clutch itself :crying:
so it will be:
Slave cylinder
Clutch
is it worth replacing the flywheel or will it be ok?
also im partially thinking about a new/refurbed gearbox as mine is notchy and when its hot it crunches going from 2nd to 3rd, u think that might be from clutch/slave cylinder being nackered or is that the box? also how much are boxes?

expensive times ahead i fear

cheers

Ali

Sorry to hear it mate. I also need to take my box off again! I think the new slave cylinder is faulty.

Have you change the gearbox oil at all? It might be "expired" or the oil level could be low causing the notchy feeling.

I have no idea on the flywheel but I would guess its a good idea to replace it while its open.

I have changed the gear oil with VAG stuff and adjusted the gear linkages as per that video thats been kicking around and bled the clutch.
I'm hoping that the notchyness and crunching is because the clutch hasnt been working properly. I've called a garage about a quote for doing slave cylinder, clutch and flywheel, they're gonna call me back today hopefully.

ok the garage have quoted me:
£450 labour
£213 oem clutch
£578 oem flywheel
£70 Slave cylinder
they also mentioned that they can get a LUK kit that has all those things in it for £578. I've read that the oem clutch is a LUK one but was curious about the flywheel, is it LUK aswell and if not why the HUGE price difference, how does it compare?
same applies for the slave, is the oem slave better than the LUK one?

That sounds like a rip off, £1300 for a new clutch? Do they also want your kidney's?

well to everyone that suggested Slave Cylinder, you were right and you all get a haggis supper with chippy brown sauce lol :applaus:

the clutch was very worn, the old flywheel didn't seem too have too much play in it but that's done too, the slave cylinder was leaking slightly and had spewed all over the clutch.

as a bonus the gear changes are alot smoother now, looks like the clutch wasn't disengaging properly hence the notchy/crunchy sensation

Cheers