Explain this.........

VAGMAN1

Reaction score
Having some strange happenings with my doors......

Very often when closing the drivers door the DIS shows it's still open - ok, but why then when closing it and locking it, does the alarm sometimes go off and sometimes doesn't?

And now even stranger....

When the passenger door is shut the DIS shows it's shut but the light at the bottom of the door stays on and the interior light flashes.

I know it's almost certainly the micro sensors are on their way out on both door locks BUT why then does the drivers door do one thing and the passenger another?!

Even stranger....Only last week I started to have the very same symptoms. I only notice mine when the car is sitting in sunshine and heats up a lot. It's on the drivers door on mine and after a few good hard bags closed it seems to be ok. The odd time it stayed for a few hours until the car cooled again.

Anyone know where the sensor is?

The sensor is contained within the door latch - there's nothing you can do with it, as it's all sealed and you have to buy a complete door latch from Audi - £40 per side. Winds me up that it fails due to stupid micro switch which costs peanuts......

I don't suppose you know the part number or how to fit it?
I've a feeling I'll be changing it soon as all other problems I've had started in this almost only when it's sunny and I'm miles from anywhere fashion.

don't know a part number I'm afraid! To fit the part you have to remove the door card and window frame - get yourself a copy of the Haynes manual - it shows you how.

Yep, mine does exactly the same...

Weird how it only seems to do it when the car is hot...

yep mine did this too, go down to audi ask for the door latch for the side you need - they're pretty helpful about this.

remove door card

remove 4 ****** big torx bolts noting position of spacers for lower bolts this allows you to remove door frame inc window.

put window frame in closed position with door shell slightly open - I couldn't be bothered dealing with all the wires etc. I used some tape to make sure the door would stay shut (worked a treat)

remove cover to door latch, top first then bottom - needed a good pull.

then replace latch and put everything back.

it's not that bad to do, just some awkward bits, I'll post some of the pics from elsawin if anyone needs them or answer any questions.

it takes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif though - the micro sensors last, on average, just over 2 years - conveniently out of warranty. Not good enough considering Audi is a supposed to be a premium brand. Sure £40 isn't the end of the world, but it's the principle that you have to replace the whole lock - it's hardly a highly sophisticated part and they SHOULD be able to get it right and make them last....

yep completly agree VAGMAN, it's like the MAF and Diverter Valve... typical large manufacturer attitudes, if it costs more to sort the problem leave it well alone!

and who mentioned crappy bushes and Anti Roll Bars...

Glad im not the only one thats been having this problem.I hate slamming the door though in case the window shatters.Just had the MAF replaced and now this is happening.
When i bought my Audi i was told that the main problems would be electrical and ive had quite a few of them so far. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

Door lock mechanism...I've had the same problem with the drivers door. Bought the part from audi for £38+vat and paid a garage £30 to fit it.

Part number if you still need it P V8L2 837 016 (021A04 LOCK) thats whats on the invoice anyway...Drivers door if that makes any odds

over 70% of the problems on my A3 have been electrical - really stupid things that shouldn't be going wrong. I heard that in a recent survey conducted by the AA, the most cars they towed in with electical related faults were those built by the VAG group......

At this rate I'm going to have to stop ripping on my mate who's got an Alfa!!!!

Yeh it does seem really prone to little annoying electrical problems. I've had mine 4 months and i've replaced the MAF, Dump Valve, Temp sensor, Door lock mechanism and now the radiator fan keeps going on and off all the time. Wondering whats gona be next /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Yeah micro switch in door lock, had mine done a few months ago thru warranty at stealers fortunatly

After rooting around in the local(ish) scrapyard yesterday, I managed to 'recover' (!!!) a micro switch from a front door lock on an A3 and also discovered the old A4 (N-X reg) uses exactly the same micro switch.

So I now have 2 micro switches to swap with the exisitng duff ones!

Also discovered from close examination who makes the switches - a compay called Cherry. Located the webiste and emailed to ask them for an explanation!

Yes, I am a dog with a bone........

[ QUOTE ]
I'll send a paper bag full of poo to Cherry's MD. :)

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

VAGMAN, have you managed to swap the micro-switch off the lock mechanism?

Any chance of some piccies? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm wondering if cleaning the switch with some electrical contact cleaner (IPA) will help...could be just dry contacts that get worse with hot conditions...

from the latch I removed it sounded like the actual micro switch is knackered, didn't make a positive click anymore, so for mine I would say no cleaning wouldn't help, but it sounds like everone is having slightly different problems all caused by the same part, the only problem I had was the interior lights pulsing - wasn't even showing open on the DIS.

The micro switch is quite obvious to spot on the lock unit - it has the plug socket! To remove it, you have to bend out one of the linkage plates slightly (don't worry - it sounds worse than it is and won't damage anything).

I'm going to swap the micro switches this weekend (lots of daylight needed!).

Cleaning the switch doesn't help - I've tried this already - it's all sealed anyway. And the knackered one I have still makes a positive clicking noise..........

Cherry havn't replied so far - perhaps a phone call is in order!!!

Called Cherry - seems the automtove division has been closed down in the US.....

Anyhow, someone I did speak to said my email had been forwarded on to their UK rep and it just so happened he gave me her number........

The Audi switches, it would seem, our coming out of the European subsidiary in their German factory (who have also recieved an email from me).

Rest assured if the UK rep hasn't emailed me mid-day tomoro, I'll be getting in touch!