Steering wheel removal?

Markb

Reaction score
As subject how do you go about removing the steering wheel from the A3?

I've found THIS thread, and as far as I can gather you remove the 2 screws from the air bag and one from the centre, but is that it?

Oh yeah I'm fitting an S3 steering wheel by the way. Before you get started my A3 one is a bit worn. So I'm fitting an S3 one which I picked up cheap.

Cheers Mark.

[ QUOTE ]
As subject how do you go about removing the steering wheel from the A3?

I've found THIS thread, and as far as I can gather you remove the 2 screws from the air bag and one from the centre, but is that it?

Oh yeah I'm fitting an S3 steering wheel by the way. Before you get started my A3 one is a bit worn. So I'm fitting an S3 one which I picked up cheap.

Cheers Mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

i did exactly the same thing. I fitted an S3 wheels. The airbag is held on by 2 torx screws at the back, that comes off, then you disconnect the airbag connector. Then you need a fat torx head for the centre nut. I had to use a 2'ft breaker bar to undo this is it was ****** tight!! No chance with a regular wrench! Then its just a case of removing old, on with new and reversal of removal

RIch

[ QUOTE ]
So what stops the airbag going off when doing all of the this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Keys not in the ignition. Mine didnt go off and i've disconnected it about 4 times and its oviously not gone off

Rich

you must be gripping the wheel too much then mark, mine was like new and that was 80,000mile

as for the airbag, dissconnect the battery and leave it for 10mins to let the charge in the drain

[ QUOTE ]
you must be gripping the wheel too much then mark, mine was like new and that was 80,000mile

as for the airbag, dissconnect the battery and leave it for 10mins to let the charge in the drain

[/ QUOTE ]

OK so I was after an excuse for replacing a perfectly good wheel LOL As you say mine is still like new, but I was just trying justify it LOL

Cheers for the air bag advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if I can keep my wheel and replace ther rest of the car around it for an S3.

That would be cool. :)

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there? LOL

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if I can keep my wheel and replace ther rest of the car around it for an S3.

That would be cool. :)

[/ QUOTE ]

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm there? LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Naa man, just surealism.

Right after nearly a year I finally decided to try and fit my S3 steering wheel, but didn't have a spline bit large enough for the central nut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Does anyone know what size bit I need? It's looks like about a 50 Diameter hole with 12 points?

I'd also be interested to know what size the bit required is, as i'm changing mine soon

cheers

Does anybody have a 3 spoke steering wheel for sale after fitting a S3 one? i want to change mine as its starting to show signs of wear.

the torx in the back are T-30's/ cant remeber the spline head, I just fitted an S3 steering wheel yesterday as well!!!

Jaywoo_A3 said:
Does anybody have a 3 spoke steering wheel for sale after fitting a S3 one? i want to change mine as its starting to show signs of wear.

Yes I have if you are interested?

I swapped from the SE 4 spoke (yuk) to an S4/S3 effort in my A3 Tdi..... I cant beleive the difference it makes.
It makes the whole interior fell like a much better place to be.....
Not sure why but that wheel seems more at home in the A3 than the S4 (dont worry S4 still has s4 wheel!). I ended up paying 150 quid from 4rungs spares for the wheel and airbag and TBH im delighted......but that seems to be the going rate for those wheels.