EM TuningChris Nott
    Lord Of The Rings

Status

Exclamation Bluetooth OBD Setup ?

Does anyone know how to set these things up?

I bought this bluetooth obd adapter:

Super Mini OBD2 ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth Car Scanner Android Torque Auto Scan Tool | eBay

and cant get it to work with anything.

I've tried Dashcommand using roqyBT4 and REV on my iphone, and Scanxl pro (on my mates pc) and Scantool.net on my laptop.

I've also tried it on a 2004 ford fiesta and a 2006 lexus rx350.

Am i missing something ?
    Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

2. # ADS
    ADS

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    In the link you posted to on ebay for the adapter it says its for android phones and does not mention the iphone is this the issue?

Just found this one on ebay its dirt cheap from china but says its iphone compatible but looks identical to the one you linked to.

ELM327 Wireless Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner Adapter for iPhone Xmas | eBay
    Last edited by vrbob; 3rd February 2013 at 18:12.
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vrbob View Post
    In the link you posted to on ebay for the adapter it says its for android phones and does not mention the iphone is this the issue?

Just found this one on ebay its dirt cheap from china but says its iphone compatible but looks identical to the one you linked to.

ELM327 Wireless Car Diagnostic Reader Scanner Adapter for iPhone Xmas | eBay

Its just a sales pitch, they are the same.

I was thinking it was the phone connection at first but i can even get it to work with the laptop using the supplied software. I was then thinking it was that its not compatible with the car but its not working on the any other car
    Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

Status
    Maybe yours is just faulty then?
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Maybe yours is just faulty then?

Its a bit hard to explain but the phone seems to connect to the adapter but wont read from the car.

Ill try and make a video

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    I've also come across this video that's got me thinking:

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3 T View Post
    Its a bit hard to explain but the phone seems to connect to the adapter but wont read from the car.

Ill try and make a video
    Well I will happily sit on the fence till you manage to work it all out and then jump in once its all sorted

So good luck dude hope you get it up n running asap!

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Well so far you seem to be the only one interested.....lol

4th Gear

Status
    one thing to note is that the iPhone will only work over Wifi, not Bluetooth.
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. View Post
    whats the best app for iPhone ?

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev. View Post

A standard iphone will only work over wifi

Here's a video showing how its meant to work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOZ-YxqC8_g

But even if that was the case i should still be able to connect using my laptop

Status
    So has anyone got one of these working with an iphone?

5th Gear

Status

Bluetooth OBD Setup ?

I have a elm 327 wifi one working with my iPhone as far as I'm aware you can't use the Bluetooth version with apple devices only android.
    S3 1.8t Ming blue with ivory leather & 18"tt alloys

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by shariain View Post
    I have a elm 327 wifi one working with my iPhone as far as I'm aware you can't use the Bluetooth version with apple devices only android.
    Cool thanks for that so can I ask which obd adapter you have and what app are you using on the iphone?

5th Gear

Status

Bluetooth OBD Setup ?

This is the obd adaptor I'm using.

I used rev, dash commander and FUZZYcar but they are all crap to be honest I'm just glad I tried before I bought any of them.

Status
    This is the obd adaptor I'm using.

I used rev, dash commander and FUZZYcar but they are all crap to be honest I'm just glad I tried before I bought any of them.
    V helpful mate thanks for that, so in regards to the apps are any of them free? and are they not good at all?

5th Gear

Status

Bluetooth OBD Setup ?

The apps are very laggy for real time data and not all the parameters are recorded for logging also I have found for the diagnostic side it only looks at the emissions side of things and the engine management light. I know I have 2 faults on my car 1 with the hvac (sp) flap on the passenger side and the other with the passenger door lock and these don't come up on the apps. At best the apps are only good for resetting the engine management light when it comes on as long as you know what the fault is showing.

This is just my opinion, I have not seen the apps for free I think FUZZYcar is the cheapest then rev then dash commander. Rev has a lite app that is free but it doesn't do the diagnostics.

Lord Of The Rings

Status

That's where ROQYBT4 comes in, It allows you to use bluetooth on iphones

But that still wouldn't explain why it still wont work on a laptop.

Maybe i should try one of those big black adapters like the one you have pictured.

Do you know if its v1.4 or 1.5 ?

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Update.....

I managed to get this to work today.

What you need to do is set up rogyby with the ignition off then setup dashcommand with the ignition on.

I still think my adapter is faulty as i keep loosing the bluetooth signal and it doesn't correct itself until i unplug the adapter and plug it back in.

Another thing is that i know I've got a fault code stored as it shows up with vagcom but dashcommand is telling me i don't have any.

Does anyone know any other good apps ?

Status
    Nice glad you have made some progress

so is this the adapter you have again? New Super Mini ELM327 OBD2 OBD-II Bluetooth CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Scan Tool | eBay

cos for £8 i might well give it a whirl too

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Nice glad you have made some progress

so is this the adapter you have again? New Super Mini ELM327 OBD2 OBD-II Bluetooth CAN-BUS Auto Diagnostic Scan Tool | eBay

cos for £8 i might well give it a whirl too

I bough mine from this seller but the one in your link looks the same:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Mini-OBD2-ELM327-V1-5-Bluetooth-Car-Scanner-Android-Torque-Auto-Scan-Tool-/121052535105?clk_rvr_id=447249055543&ssPageName=AD ME%3AL%3AOU%3AGB%3A3160&afsrc=1&nma=true&si=p%252F ouCTs21z3B10%252BIzJ6RDaWllhY%253D&orig_cvip=true& rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

But like i said it keeps dropping signal so I'm thinking of giving this one a try:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-Bluetooth-Car-ELM327-OBD2-OBDII-Diagnostic-Interface-Scanner-PC-Android-/150830767530?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash =item231e36ddaa

And here is a link to the dashcommand app:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dashcommand-obd-ii-gauge-dashboards/id321293183?mt=8

And Rev:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/rev/id302420711?mt=8

You'll also need to have your iphone jailbroken so you can install RoqyBT4 :

http://www.roqy-bluetooth.net/wp/?page_id=155

If your phones not jailbroken then you'll need a obd wifi adapter (not the bluetooth one that I've linked to) like shariain has pictured.

Hope this helps

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    I managed to get rev to work (still keeps dropping signal) but that didn't find any fault codes either.

The fault code i know i have because vagcom picks it up is:

17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)
    P1297 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

Could it be that the code is vag specific and this other software only picks up generic fault codes ?

5th Gear

Status

Bluetooth OBD Setup ?

I think they only pick up on emission based fault codes that put the engine management light on.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    I think they only pick up on emission based fault codes that put the engine management light on.

Hmmm.... That's not what they say in their sales pitch.

You would think dashcommand would do a better job as it's from the same people that make scanxl software.