headlight spread

chippie

Reaction score
Hello all. How far should the xenon headlight on the s3 shine in front of the car, ive had mine for just over 2 1/2 years and had them adjusted twice and a new unit fitted but I still don’t rate the distance lit up on the road, the drivers side only seems to illuminate about 6 to 8 feet in front of the bonnet line. The self levelling system is working; to me it just seems to be setting too low. Any help appreciated thanks.

I have this exact problem with mine, although every now and again it does sit correctly, when the ignition is turned off and back on it shines too low again.

Anyway according to the Audi dealer it is a faulty self leveller and will be replaced by them next week, I will let you know if it works.

I got v frustrated by the low angle on the lights on my A4 -
I live in an area with horses, cattle, donkeys, pigs, shetland ponies, deer, foxes and badgers free to roam over all the local roads, and the low angle drove me mad.. so I took matters into my own hands, and have raised the angle significantly, manually adjusting the positioners (looong screwdriver required as i recall!)

The previous angle (which was crap) now falls at about the 4th position of the headlamp adjusters rather than the top, and I usually drive now at position 2! usefully higher.. I got my mrs to drive towards me, and she was happy with the 'dazzle factor' at that level, despite having extra bright bulbs too.. she wasnt happy at level 1, and I agree its too high, tried it once and got flashed at!

Yes I know this isnt strictly Kosher - but Its absolutely essential where I live.. and made all the difference!

thanks for the reply’s, lflowers post how you get on, I’ve got to book mine in for a sticking arm rest and will mention the self leveller if that’s the cause.