Losing Brake Fluid - Possible Scenarios

Alais DJA

Reaction score
Morning all.

Starting to lose Brake fluid over a few days, and clutch pedal keeps sticking every now and then on depression. No noticible leaks, however the rear pads have gone to the metal ( and are getting replaced Sat )

Any ideas.

Clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder or the pipe going into the slave cylinder are likely culprits...

<tuffty/>

I suspected as much - each part wont cost me more than £20.

On another side note though - do you need to remove the steering wheel to replace the washer stalk>? And stickies about?

....On another side note though - do you need to remove the steering wheel to replace the washer stalk>? And stickies about?

Yes you will... don't know of any on here that I remember but I would disconnect the battery and leave it 20mins before attempting to remove the airbag/steering wheel... there should be steering wheel removal guides on places like VWVortex, UKmkIV's etc...

Or look for the guide to fit cruise control as the PDF from VW Teeside has this in it...

<tuffty/>

diagnosed the problem to a small silver unit with a pipe in each end sits above the near side wishbone ( and where the fluid is collecting )behind the battery suspended by two metal pipes each end.
can anyone confirm what the name of this unit is...

so far i've been told pressure release valve / non return valve / dampner valve

any help as always greatly appreciated

...actually I have an idea of the bit you mean... fitted to the bulkhead?

<tuffty/>

Dealer only part as far as I know... dunno the PN or what its called off hand... have heard of these 'leaking' before... have you tried tweaking the unions at all and give them a clean with brake cleaner after to see if its still leaking?

<tuffty/>

The feelers are out at the moment at my garages i manage to find me one now, im going to clean up and tighten it up tonight see if it leaks any more under load. will keep you updates