thermostat help

Spatula

A4 B6
Reaction score
Hello,

I know this has probably been covered already, but I'm in need of help! I have just come to change my thermostat as it's knackered. So I followed a guide and got to the point where I remove the hose prior to thermostat. Engine coolant is now all over my garage floor. I expected some but not the lot. Is there any cut off to minimilise coolant loss? If not, where/how do I drain the coolant sufficiently? Is there somewhere near rad?

Pleassseee helpp! :)

Thank you.

lol ok. I'll see how it goes.. I only got my t/belt and water pump done yesterday with fresh g12... which is now all over my garage floor :p.

Well I'll try and bucket the rest out of my rad and put it back in..

I got a lot more out once I'd removed the housing, so be warned and cover the dip stick tube ;-)

I got a lot more out once I'd removed the housing, so be warned and cover the dip stick tube ;-)

The housing came straight out with the clip that holds it on to the block.. I think it's already been snapped and shoved back in, so i'll buy a new one.

I did ask the bloke to change it out when doing the w/pump and t/belt, but he just didn't bother.
So I did it lastnight, it wasn't as hard as I thought to undo the bottom bolt, seeing as I had the tools. I think the hardest part was trying to put the butter fly clip back on to the hoses. I ended up using a jubilee clip..

Also, the t/stat that I took out was completely snapped, i.e. the only part that was in there was the metal ring. No spring or cylinder.. I have no idea how/where that stuff has disappeared. Anyway I replaced it and now she sits at 90 perfectly ;-).

Thanks for your help, and I'm sure i'll be back soon with more questions.

- Spat