Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Blue haldex upgrade

3rd Gear

Status

Blue haldex upgrade

I've been reading about the blue haldex controller.some good reviews some say not needed unless big power.there is one for sale just now and have a bit of spare cash and was wondering would it be a worth while upgrade to my s3 with mtm conversion ? Or would I be better keeping the money to put towards something else
    for the car

What difference do they make to the car in the twistys?also because they engage rear drive over a certain throttle postion do the sap more power than the standard unit ?

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Drift King!

Status
    They make the haldex more predictable, it works in the same way as a normal one, only it fully locks on 50% throttle or above, so for hard launches, the Haldex engages first before the power is transmitted to the wheels, that's what I'm led to believe anyways.

Does it make your car go round corners any quicker? Not really, not unless you have balls to plant the throttle and take corners in a 4 wheel drift anyways. It does make the car more stable and controllerble mid corner, so to a point, yes, you can make use of the power more predictably during a corner, instead of waiting for the car to decide when to transmit power to the rear wheels.

If you have the power and the suspension mods, - I'm talking about uprated shocks and springs, and uprated ARBs - then in vest in one of these to make use of it all, on standard cars, no point, in my opinion.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    They make the haldex more predictable, it works in the same way as a normal one, only it fully locks on 50% throttle or above, so for hard launches, the Haldex engages first before the power is transmitted to the wheels, that's what I'm led to believe anyways.

Does it make your car go round corners any quicker? Not really, not unless you have balls to plant the throttle and take corners in a 4 wheel drift anyways. It does make the car more stable and controllerble mid corner, so to a point, yes, you can make use of the power more predictably during a corner, instead of waiting for the car to decide when to transmit power to the rear wheels.

If you have the power and the suspension mods, - I'm talking about uprated shocks and springs, and uprated ARBs - then in vest in one of these to make use of it all, on standard cars, no point, in my opinion.
    thanks for the reply jojo,I have a bit more power than standard and got coilovers but no updated arbs yet,the arbs are on my to do list.
    if the price of the controller don't go to high I will get it

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Id get the hpa competiton one, it keeps the rear under 4wd and i think is more responsive from what ive read on the tt and vortex forums but if you can get he blue ine cheap go for it.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

Neutral

Status
    im surprised nobody has broken the coding on the standard controller to change the settings - they'd make a fortune mapping the standard ones
    Audi S3 [AMK 1.8T]

Mods:
    N249 Bypass
    Revo STG 1
    Rota Grid Drift 9.5J alloys
    AP coilovers
    PCV oil catch can (to atmosphere)

Status
    I dontthink its possible mate, thats why.

Neutral

Status
    Furry muff. I figured it might be possible seeing as you can communicate with the haldex to scan for errors.
    Or do it retro style by swapping a chip

But then again it would make sense that you cant, otherwise why would haldex sell a separate controller!
    Audi S3 [AMK 1.8T]

Mods:
    N249 Bypass
    Revo STG 1
    Rota Grid Drift 9.5J alloys
    AP coilovers
    PCV oil catch can (to atmosphere)

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani_B19 View Post
    I dontthink its possible mate, thats why.
    I think it will be its only a controller, It would be good to take the 2 apart side by side, it may just need the new blue eprom?

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by turnstyle View Post
    im surprised nobody has broken the coding on the standard controller to change the settings - they'd make a fortune mapping the standard ones
    I know someone thats working on it.
    Lavis89 and turnstyle like this.
    Was 531bhp 8L S3 thats going to break the 600+ bhp Club then break something else. Lets see what this OD HTAGT3582r can do
    My S3 Twists Drive shafts for fun.

FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts
    , relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Status
    Yeah think thas the only difference dave haha.

Scullies by any chance andrew? So is it possible when as i thought the uprated controllers were physically different internal wise?

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Not Scullies

A close friend thats a electronics whizz
    Was 531bhp 8L S3 thats going to break the 600+ bhp Club then break something else. Lets see what this OD HTAGT3582r can do

FOR SALE
    , relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Status
    Ooh i likey haha. Please tell more. I just remember scullies posting a thread up and im sure the controller works by regulatoring the oil and was under the impression the uprated controllers had different internal but i could be wrong.

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    TBH i have no idea about how they work but he does now and is working on it

FOR SALE

S3 Drift King!

Status
    There's nothing much to a Haldex controller really, it's just a servo that open and closes a hole which restricts oil flow, that controls a wet clutch. How it operates with the car's throttle position and speed/ABS sensors is where all the trickery is. VagCom has no control over it, it's a passive device.

Cawsey

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@A.L.D View Post
    Not Scullies

A close friend thats a electronics whizz
    Keep us all posted if he finds out a way.

AMD stage 2 map, BBS LM 19s, 20mm Momo Spacers, Black Diamond Discs, Ferrodo ds2500 pads, Milltek Exhaust, Pipewerx downpipe and Decat, Custom FMIC, 4 bar Fuel Pressure Regulator, Forge 007p, Forge short shift, Forge DV relocation ,Forge TIP, S2000 Filter, Sachs Race Clutch, Sachs Light weight Single mass flywheel, ForgeOil catch tank, De baffled Charge pipe & Polished, Polished Inlet Manifold, N249 Delete, PCV Delete, Red Engine Mounts, Forge Boost hoses, Angel Eye Headlights, LCR Splitter,

3rd Gear

Status
    Id get the hpa competiton one, it keeps the rear under 4wd and i think is more responsive from what ive read on the tt and vortex forums but if you can get he blue ine cheap go for it.
    How much is the hpa controller?i like the idea of it always being 4wd

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Goubo1 View Post
    How much is the hpa controller?i like the idea of it always being 4wd
    Say good bye to your gearbox if it's in permanant 4wd. The transfer box was not designed to take such loads.

Status
    Think its about £500/600 delivered but not sure mate so dont quote me, not looked at it in a while but id rather have that over the blue one, but im interested to see what andrews mate can cook up.

Status
    Its not 4wd all the time jojo, it works like the blue but engages brakes when brakeing/cornering, surely though the rear diff/haldex clutch would pack in before the gearbox did?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Took a controller apart the other day..

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Status
    What you got planned PT?

3rd Gear

Status
    Say good bye to your gearbox if it's in permanant 4wd. The transfer box was not designed to take such loads.
    Well I won't be having permanent 4wd then lol

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    What you got planned PT?
    Nowt mate... this was a f00ked controller and was just interested... there is a discussion in NefMoto about reprogramming the haldex but not looked recently to see if there is any progress...

The circuit is potted which could be a pain to try and flash...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

3rd Gear

Status
    See with the blue controller would I suffer more transmission losses ?

S3 Drift King!

Status
    See with the blue controller would I suffer more transmission losses ?
    In theory, it should be the same, unless you drive around with 50%+ throttle where ever you go.

3rd Gear

Status
    In theory, it should be the same, unless you drive around with 50%+ throttle where ever you go.
    i tend to try lol

Down under

Status
    They're horrid. Constant 4wd. It's like having a broken haldex. Groaning when parking etc.
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Status
    Thats the old ones sam, theyve since revised their design to stop this, check the tt forum and vortex.

3rd Gear

Status
    So am I correct in now thinking a upgraded haldex will sap power therefor decrease accelerarion ?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    So am I correct in now thinking a upgraded haldex will sap power therefor decrease accelerarion ?
    Nope...

<tuffty/>

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Nope...

<tuffty/>
    im not questioning you tuffty but could you explain why not please

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    You are already dragging a gearbox, transfer box, prop and rear diff regardless of haldex engagement... all a performance controller does more than a std controller is get you to full lock more quickly...

std controller is alleged to do 60/40 but not read anything that confirms that tbh... all I can tell you is anyone that suggests there is more bias to the rears has no idea what they are on about... a fully engaged haldex with no wheelspin front or rear is 50/50... if you loose grip on a front wheel then by definition you have more 'torque' going to the rears as they are gripping...

<tuffty/>

Down under

Status
    Thats the old ones sam, theyve since revised their design to stop this, check the tt forum and vortex.
    Ah ok. Is that in their "stealth" controllers (the HPA silver)? The blue ones were actually made by Haldex. HPA recoded stock ones for the Orange as far as I know. Some say have the AWD under breaking isn't ideal. I know a guy here went back to stock from Orange as it was 'too harsh' for him.
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    You are already dragging a gearbox, transfer box, prop and rear diff regardless of haldex engagement... all a performance controller does more than a std controller is get you to full lock more quickly...

std controller is alleged to do 60/40 but not read anything that confirms that tbh... all I can tell you is anyone that suggests there is more bias to the rears has no idea what they are on about... a fully engaged haldex with no wheelspin front or rear is 50/50... if you loose grip on a front wheel then by definition you have more 'torque' going to the rears as they are gripping...

<tuffty/>
    cheers

Down under

Status
    eznow: dislike? I'm sorry you don't like the operation of the orange haldex

Status
    I think it is the silver one mate. I think its meant to mimic the torson style quattros.

3rd Gear

Status
    Well I got the blue controller should be here tomorrow or Wednesday at latest so hopefully have it on for the weekend,got it at a decent price it came off a r32.

i will be needing a gasket for it and I know the part number for the controller in the left of the pic below but don't know the number for the gasket for the one on the left ?

Does anyone know what gasket is needed for the blue controller ?

Down under

Status
    I think I posted the part number in my build thread but it's just a stock one.

Reverse Gear

Status
    i will be needing a gasket for it and I know the part number for the controller in the left of the pic below but don't know the number for the gasket for the one on the left ?
    02D 525 345

02D 525 345 A

1st Gear

Status
    hi Gents

on the S3 recently aquired, it has an AWESOME haldex ecu fitted at a cost of circa 600+ quid curtesy of its 1st ond only owner from new (2001 model 38500 miles on it 3 weeks ago, now got 39600 miles on it .... is this the blue haldex controller refered to in this thread?

cheers

Rich
    WR quattro
    B5 RS4
    100 S4 SALOON AUTO
    S3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast