Blue haldex upgrade

Goubo1

Reaction score
I've been reading about the blue haldex controller.some good reviews some say not needed unless big power.there is one for sale just now and have a bit of spare cash and was wondering would it be a worth while upgrade to my s3 with mtm conversion ? Or would I be better keeping the money to put towards something else
for the car

What difference do they make to the car in the twistys?also because they engage rear drive over a certain throttle postion do the sap more power than the standard unit ?

They make the haldex more predictable, it works in the same way as a normal one, only it fully locks on 50% throttle or above, so for hard launches, the Haldex engages first before the power is transmitted to the wheels, that's what I'm led to believe anyways.

Does it make your car go round corners any quicker? Not really, not unless you have balls to plant the throttle and take corners in a 4 wheel drift anyways. It does make the car more stable and controllerble mid corner, so to a point, yes, you can make use of the power more predictably during a corner, instead of waiting for the car to decide when to transmit power to the rear wheels.

If you have the power and the suspension mods, - I'm talking about uprated shocks and springs, and uprated ARBs - then in vest in one of these to make use of it all, on standard cars, no point, in my opinion.

They make the haldex more predictable, it works in the same way as a normal one, only it fully locks on 50% throttle or above, so for hard launches, the Haldex engages first before the power is transmitted to the wheels, that's what I'm led to believe anyways.

Does it make your car go round corners any quicker? Not really, not unless you have balls to plant the throttle and take corners in a 4 wheel drift anyways. It does make the car more stable and controllerble mid corner, so to a point, yes, you can make use of the power more predictably during a corner, instead of waiting for the car to decide when to transmit power to the rear wheels.

If you have the power and the suspension mods, - I'm talking about uprated shocks and springs, and uprated ARBs - then in vest in one of these to make use of it all, on standard cars, no point, in my opinion.

thanks for the reply jojo,I have a bit more power than standard and got coilovers but no updated arbs yet,the arbs are on my to do list.
if the price of the controller don't go to high I will get it

Id get the hpa competiton one, it keeps the rear under 4wd and i think is more responsive from what ive read on the tt and vortex forums but if you can get he blue ine cheap go for it.

im surprised nobody has broken the coding on the standard controller to change the settings - they'd make a fortune mapping the standard ones

I dontthink its possible mate, thats why.

Furry ****. I figured it might be possible seeing as you can communicate with the haldex to scan for errors.
Or do it retro style by swapping a chip

But then again it would make sense that you cant, otherwise why would haldex sell a separate controller!

Yeah think thas the only difference dave haha.

Scullies by any chance andrew? So is it possible when as i thought the uprated controllers were physically different internal wise?

Ooh i likey haha. Please tell more. I just remember scullies posting a thread up and im sure the controller works by regulatoring the oil and was under the impression the uprated controllers had different internal but i could be wrong.

There's nothing much to a Haldex controller really, it's just a servo that open and closes a hole which restricts oil flow, that controls a wet clutch. How it operates with the car's throttle position and speed/ABS sensors is where all the trickery is. VagCom has no control over it, it's a passive device.

Id get the hpa competiton one, it keeps the rear under 4wd and i think is more responsive from what ive read on the tt and vortex forums but if you can get he blue ine cheap go for it.

How much is the hpa controller?i like the idea of it always being 4wd

Think its about £500/600 delivered but not sure mate so dont quote me, not looked at it in a while but id rather have that over the blue one, but im interested to see what andrews mate can cook up.

Its not 4wd all the time jojo, it works like the blue but engages brakes when brakeing/cornering, surely though the rear diff/haldex clutch would pack in before the gearbox did?

Took a controller apart the other day..

20130127_162233_zps7fa42a44.jpg

20130127_162554_zpsa93aaab3.jpg

20130127_162640_zps92aa32d6.jpg

20130127_163446_zps48688cb1.jpg

20130127_162435_zps25c12040.jpg

<tuffty/>

What you got planned PT?

Nowt mate... this was a f00ked controller and was just interested... there is a discussion in NefMoto about reprogramming the haldex but not looked recently to see if there is any progress...

The circuit is potted which could be a pain to try and flash...

<tuffty/>

See with the blue controller would I suffer more transmission losses ?

They're horrid. Constant 4wd. It's like having a broken haldex. Groaning when parking etc.

Thats the old ones sam, theyve since revised their design to stop this, check the tt forum and vortex.

So am I correct in now thinking a upgraded haldex will sap power therefor decrease accelerarion ?

You are already dragging a gearbox, transfer box, prop and rear diff regardless of haldex engagement... all a performance controller does more than a std controller is get you to full lock more quickly...

std controller is alleged to do 60/40 but not read anything that confirms that tbh... all I can tell you is anyone that suggests there is more bias to the rears has no idea what they are on about... a fully engaged haldex with no wheelspin front or rear is 50/50... if you loose grip on a front wheel then by definition you have more 'torque' going to the rears as they are gripping...

<tuffty/>

Thats the old ones sam, theyve since revised their design to stop this, check the tt forum and vortex.

Ah ok. Is that in their "stealth" controllers (the HPA silver)? The blue ones were actually made by Haldex. HPA recoded stock ones for the Orange as far as I know. Some say have the AWD under breaking isn't ideal. I know a guy here went back to stock from Orange as it was 'too harsh' for him.

You are already dragging a gearbox, transfer box, prop and rear diff regardless of haldex engagement... all a performance controller does more than a std controller is get you to full lock more quickly...

std controller is alleged to do 60/40 but not read anything that confirms that tbh... all I can tell you is anyone that suggests there is more bias to the rears has no idea what they are on about... a fully engaged haldex with no wheelspin front or rear is 50/50... if you loose grip on a front wheel then by definition you have more 'torque' going to the rears as they are gripping...

<tuffty/>

cheers :)

I think it is the silver one mate. I think its meant to mimic the torson style quattros.

Well I got the blue controller should be here tomorrow or Wednesday at latest so hopefully have it on for the weekend,got it at a decent price it came off a r32.

i will be needing a gasket for it and I know the part number for the controller in the left of the pic below but don't know the number for the gasket for the one on the left ?

6339d1c56c60fb5a7babf77f307aeed8.jpg

Does anyone know what gasket is needed for the blue controller ?

I think I posted the part number in my build thread but it's just a stock one.

hi Gents

on the S3 recently aquired, it has an AWESOME haldex ecu fitted at a cost of circa 600+ quid curtesy of its 1st ond only owner from new (2001 model 38500 miles on it 3 weeks ago, now got 39600 miles on it :).... is this the blue haldex controller refered to in this thread?

cheers

Rich