EM TuningVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

Audi A3 sport 1.6 blue smoke

Hi my son has a 1.6 sport and when he got it he noticed the engine never got up to full temp.
    He changed the thermostat and now it sits at 90. The problem he has now is that soon as it
    reaches 90 loads of blue smoke comes out the back. No smoke comes out when starting from
    cold or till it reaches full temp. Anyone got any ideas where to start looking ?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Yorkshire & Humber Events Mod

Status
    Blue Smoke = Oil

I would check for signs of head gasket failure seems as you got problems with the temperature. Maybe do a compression test.

Someone might shine abit more light on this as I'm no expert but Blue Smoke ain't a good sign.
    ***2000 Audi S3 8L APY***
    * Milltek CATback * Milltek 200 Supercell Sports CAT * SuperChips SRP Stage 1 Remap * Forge 008p *
    * 18" Audi TT 240 Sports Alloys in Gunmetal Grey * Pagid Discs with BD Predator Pads *
    * Badger5 v2.2 TIP, Jetex Filter with Heatshield * N249 Delete * N112 Bypass *
    * PowerFlex ARB Bushes *
    ~ Soon to be fitted: s3dave Adjustable Control Arms ~

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/signatu...pic65622_5.gif

5th Gear

Status
    How many miles has it done? Blue smoke does suggest it is burning oil, get a compression test done as sounds like bores/rings are starting to wear.

Neutral

Status
    Hi cwisy_S3 (Good Dad), there are two things that can cause a car to bring blue smoke, first you need to know that blue smoke means you are burning oil like all the other members said, so the two reason are if you valve stem seals waring out that is what i actually think because its only if you have the engine heating up, and the other cause is if your rings also ware out.
    I don't thinks its the rings though, because then you would have constant blue come out even before it warms up.
    Have a mechanic advice you.
    I you need to know what is need, let me know, hope that helps.

Cheers

Neutral

Status
    have done a compression test on all cylinders and they are fine so no problem with the pistons and rings. I guess it must be down to the valve stem seals. Guess its a cylinder head off job then.

Neutral

Status
    I thought so, so you will need a probably a set of overhaul gasket kit you can get it on eBay or somewhere u find comfortable, its wise to change all the gasket and any other things like the toothed belt and its tensioner etc.
    Oh and by the way its not really a big problem except the the environment and the police and it shouldn't affect the car's performance but u need to know that i will make you spark plugs dirty and you will loose some hp and you also need to check your oil level.
    Oh by the way i forgot to tell you that blue can also be caused by the Turbo so u also need to go and do a turbo pressure test.
    Hope that helps
    You are a good DAD...!

Neutral

Status
    no turbo on the 1.6 sport