Major Power Fluctuations

Wizza

Reaction score
Started happening recently since the snow and cold weather came in.

The car seems to have no power what-so-ever under acceleration and when applying a heavier load the car kicks back and "jolts" when climbing speed.

You can feel a lot of this especially after gear changes. During lower gear changes the exhaust with burble and 'pop' a lot (kinda sounds like the exhaust is loose).

After discussion with a couple of people initial problems led to believe it was possible water in the fuel system and or lack of fuel pressure. Possibly need to change to fuel filter. But its gradually gotten worse which gives me a feeling it could be running on 3cyclinders.

I have no smoke coming from the exhaust and no warning lights on the dash which I can't understand. BUT I am definitely in limp mode. I'm tempted to book car in for diagnostics but thought be best to get possible answers on here first.

Cheers in advance :)

Just to add - the car idles fine but as soon as I try to put any power down, as mentioned above it just "jolts" :/

Right here goes. Big thanks to Awesome GTi for getting car scanned. Results as follows;

2 Faults Found:
16490 - Manifold / Barometric Pressure (G71) / (F96)
P0106 - 35-00 - Implausible Signal

16622 - Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31)
P0238 - 35-00 - Signal too High

Readiness: 0000 0000

They mentioned most likely cause is MAP sensor but could be a slight change that there is damage to the wiring loom. Any other help/advice is grateful. Cheers :)

Please guys - ANYONE? I have a major update to this issue...

On my way back from Skelmersdale tonight, from literally moments after setting off the car would 'jump and jerk' under acceration to the point it feels like you are slamming the brakes on. Also it would also use a lot more fuel then normal to the point you can see the miles-till-empty dropping quickly. Once the on motorway the car would generally feel OK put only to the point that it was a steady speed of 65-70mph.

Coming off the motorway the car would react in the exact same way it did when the engine was cold, and it literally felt like I gave the car an emergency stop as I set off from the roundabout. Again the car was using more fuel and in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears there was absolutely no power at majority of times. My original thoughts (and passengers) was that it could have been a case of having to pull over and call breakdown not knowing exactly what damage this could cause to the engine.

As I puilled up at home, reversing onto driveway the car seemed to near enough lose all power and I don't just mean engine management wise. Anyway fuel temps were perfectly normal all the way home and there are no signs of funny engine noises or smells. Could this just be my MAP sensor completely on it's way out or is it causing fuel pump/pressure issues? I know most of you will tell me that I should have just got the problem fixed from the start but unfortunately I can't afford it and that's the way things go.

PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:
Sorry dude lol

It was MAP sensor :) bumper off, sensor changed, bumper on, test drive, awesome! :D

Thought it was strange myself but will keep a check on it - car is running normally again so fingers crossed :)