strange indicator fault

jay20v

Reaction score
hi all, sorry if this has been done before but couldn't find anything with a search. so the last three times i have used the car after 5-10 mins the indicators stop working both using the stalk or switching on the hazards. example, set off for work this morn and all was well, about ten mins in to the drive once it was warmed up i noticed the indicators had stopped working, so once i got there i checked all other lights fog, brake, headlights you get the idea, all working. next i checked the fuses and again all well, so confused i got on with work and checked them again before the drive home and they were working again so set off, again half way home they packed up around the time it had warmed up.... i dont get it, is it something to with it being so cold then getting hot. it also done the same last night as i indicated to pull into my drive, i have no idea to be honest so any ideas or a link to a similar fault would be much appriciated. cheers jay

9 out of 10 indicator issues are caused by the relay being on its last legs. It's behind the hazard button but is actually part of the button so you'll need to order a new one. Not an expensive part if that's the issue. Should be your first port of call I'd say.

Replace the hazard light switch... common problem discussed many a time on here... around 35 quid for a new switch

The switch contains all the relays and controls for the hazards and the indicators...

<tuffty/>

Dont buy a new one yet, i had a problem with mine a few months back and same as above was the relay but its quite easily fixed if its that, take it apart (theres a vid on youtube) and ur be able to see the relay get a small flat head and scratch away at the contacts and bend it a bit closer this makes it have more of a good contact between the plates which fixed my issue will save u £35 just have a look on youtube for a how too vid, im not that mechanical but managed to do it no probs