Sky InsuranceChris Nott
    Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook

Thumbs up Where to find a ignition live - any pics?

I'm trying to get my headunit to turn off with my key and I can't find a easy place to get a ignition live from. I know the cigarette lighter is permanent so that's not any good. Anyone got a guide as to what fuse from the fusebox can be used and a quick how to. Thank you!
    Silver 2002 Audi S3 225 (BAM) since March 2011.

Mods: Badger5 2.2 TIP, Jetex filter, PCV delete, 710 DV, Standard N249 in use, R-Tech Stage 1 TiV Remap, Audi TT Pedals, Red Dogbone, Polybushed tie arms. All silicone boost pipes, Michelin PS3s, Red V6 coil packs, MK4 flat blade conversion, retrofited cruise control.
    Currently: 254bhp - 276lb/ft (174bhp/ton) as of 11/02/2013 On V-Power

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    key sence
    VCDS in North Wales
    2007 A6 3.0TDi S-Line Le Mans Avant , adaptive xenon lights, sunroof, privacy glass, towbar, led rears & randomly rear seat airbags
    1999 Honda S2000 , mcb low milage jap import, fully bushed, mugen exhaust <<< for sale! <<<
    2001 Passat TDi 130 Sport < sold!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Ste_Nova/Passat/PB140007s.jpg

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste_Nova View Post
    key sence
    So concise

This should give you a basic idea of the wiring, use a multi meter and just determine exactly which one is key/ignition power.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    There is a switched live under the relay box.. drivers side lower panel needs to be removed for access... its the yellow one..

OE radios are switched by canbus so there is no switched live available at the radio...

I wired mine permanent so I can switch it off when the panel is removed or listen to it without having the ignition on...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Badger 5 Edition

Status

...wiring this way means you have to have the ignition on to listen to the stereo even if not running the engine...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    If you open the back of the fusebox, the thickest black/yellow wire is ignition live.

depends if you want to solder a wire or open ring terminal it?

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Cheers, at the minute mine comes on only when I turn it on or off myself and I think when I leave the front of the stereo on but turned off, it's flatting the battery as if the front is off, the battery lasts fine. Which way would enable it to come on with the key in and turned on and turn off when the key is removed. I'm not that bothered by turning it on without the key in really.

Mods: Badger5 2.2 TIP, Jetex filter, PCV delete, 710 DV, Standard N249 in use, R-Tech Stage 1 TiV Remap, Audi TT Pedals, Red Dogbone, Polybushed tie arms. All silicone boost pipes, Michelin PS3s, Red V6 coil packs, MK4 flat blade conversion, retrofited cruise control.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Wire it to the ignition then mate...

<tuffty/>

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Wire it to the ignition then mate...

<tuffty/>
    So i will wire it up to that black/yellow wire behind the glove box (Ill use a multi-meter to check it out). I then take a cable from it to the stereo harness I guess. Anything else I need to do? Sorry being a sales manager for bikes does not help me with this! Lol.

Status
    The "Radio S-Kont" fuse is the old fuse that pre-CANBUS vehicles used for a proper accesory feed - radio stays on until you pull the keys out. Most 8L's still have this fuse, it's just not wired to anything. All you need to do is run a 5amp wire. Otherwise the radio will turn off with the engine, which can be annoying.
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMac View Post
    The "Radio S-Kont" fuse is the old fuse that pre-CANBUS vehicles used for a proper accesory feed - radio stays on until you pull the keys out. Most 8L's still have this fuse, it's just not wired to anything. All you need to do is run a 5amp wire. Otherwise the radio will turn off with the engine, which can be annoying.
    Right ok, I have my manual here and I can't find a fuse that seems to match. Fuse "42" says for Radio but that's a 15amp.

1st Gear

Status
    Yeah, just double check the wire, to be on the safe side. When I took out my concert stereo and replaced it with an alpine, I soldered a wire from the back of the stereo, removed the drivers side cowlings, run the wire across the crash bar and into the fuse box. New stereo comes on with ignition, and goes off when you take the key out.
    I fit the insurance black boxes, so am a bit anal with my wiring, going to the fuse box is always my 1st port of call

Status
    It should be fuse 37 S-Contact (Radio) 10amp
    Fusebox Immobiliser ?
    "How to tear apart the ties that bind, perhaps fcuk off might be too kind"
    Alex Turner