battery or something else?

I

imported_Nigma

Car behaving very strangley over the last couple of days.

Went to start the car on saturday and turned over very slowly, but did start in the end. The strange thing was that the doors locked as i did it and also the trip millage had been reset.

Then went to start it yesturday, and it VERY slowly turned over and almost sounded like it was dying. Wouldn't start. In the end, jump starting with another car worked. The strange thing was that the car stereo went into "SAFE" mode, which must have meant the battery was disconnected.
Drove it around a bit went shopping and returned to the car, and it started but did the wiered stuff above (doors locking).

It just came out of service last monday, which is ever more annoying.

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks Anand

Not sure but I thought you weren't supposed to jump start the 1.8T engines? Sure someone more knowledgable will clarify.

Battery is dead. Replace it and im sure the problems will be solved. Using jump leads attached to another car is perfeclt OK... Push starting is what your NOT supposed to do.

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Push starting is what your NOT supposed to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I've heard this before in relation to cars with cats but I can't remember the reason why - can you elaborate Rich?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Push starting is what your NOT supposed to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I've heard this before in relation to cars with cats but I can't remember the reason why - can you elaborate Rich?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can damage the cat with unburnt fuel being exhausted. Im not sure if its as much of a problem on injected cars, but not worth the risk anyway

Rich

Well, had the battery replaced and now appears to be working fine (fingers crossed).

Thanks Anand