Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    imported_monkeytrousers

Rear bike rack transporter

Hi,

Does anyone know if you can get a bike rack, the type that fits to the rear of the car, for an S3?

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Slowest car ever round the Top Gear track?!?

Status

Re: Rear bike rack transporter

I've got the Saris Bones rack, fits fine on my A3.

Great rack, but:
    - don't put the bottom feet directly on the bumper, put them against the back of the bootlid - if you put them on the bumper the weight of the bikes puts too much strain on the bumper and flexes it, causing the paint to crack on the corners (learnt by bitter experience). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

- It's got enough space for 3 bikes, but if you put 3 bikes on it it wobbles around like a jelly. Fine with 2.

- Put plenty of duct tape on the car to protect the paint from the hooks/straps etc.

- DON'T put duct tape on the bumper because when you come to pull it off it will take the paint with it!!! Learnt again from bitter experience (not on the Audi, on the previous car but don't take any risks).

It's been down to the alps twice on different cars and has show itself to be completely stable at speeds upto 110mph, so a great rack.

It also fits loads of different cars. The downside to this is your mates will constantly be borrowing it! Also the alloy fixtures go furry pretty quickly in the wet but it doesn't seem to affect their affectiveness.

My advice would be to buy whatever rack you settle on from Halfords as they'll take things back no questions asked if it doesn't fit.

HTH!

Are you into MTB or road stuff BTW?

imported_monkeytrousers

Thanks for the advice, I was concerned about damaging the car!

Girlfriend and I have just bought mountain bikes, just getting into it but there are some great rides locally.

Thanks mate.

5th Gear

Status

I asked the same question a month or so ago, ended up getting a saris bones one (same as timbo)

they are good, ther only problem i found is that my other halfs bike is a bit fiddly to put on as it's the ladies frame.

Also, get some cloth or something to protect the paintwork where the clips attach to the car. I just ended up using a cut up duster which works just fine.

halfords were doing them at 70 down from 100 but i don't know if the offer is still on

Brum brum

Status

I think you're better of with a roofrack and bike carrier. Never been happy about strapping things onto the boot lid as 3 or 4 bikes are quite heavy. Heard plenty of stories of scratches, dents, shattered glass, or being stopped by the police for obscured numberplate/lights.