Fitting Aeros - which puller?

I

imported_gek

Hi all, I need to buy a puller to get the wiper arms off my S3, as they are not budging.

Question is, what size puller do I need? Anyone used one to do this?

They most commonly seem to be 75, 100 and 150mm.

Thanks

Try a couple of squirts of WD40 (or similar) and leave it 10-20 minutes; that should loosen them up - make sure you keep a rag handy to mop up any excess dribble as it'll ruin your paintwork!

I used a couple of old towels to protect paintwork, fittings & trim, and a jumbo screwdriver to lever my the original S3 wiper arms off. Firm, but gentle pressure should do the trick once the WD40 has worked it's magic.

Excellent choice of wipers, they look good and work miles better than the originals - probably the most practical MOD that I've made to my car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Mark.

dont just try pulling wiggle them side to side this helps to loosen them along with the wd40

[ QUOTE ]
dont just try pulling wiggle them side to side this helps to loosen them along with the wd40

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, spray with WD40, then pull the arm up from the window (as if you were washing the car) and the wiggle firmly from side to side. The perpendicular action on the spindle should loosen it.

It may take a few minutes first.

If you have to get a puller, you can get a universal two leg one that fits from halfords.

Forget using a puller, just use an open ended spanner, forgot what size though, place one end on the end of the wiper spindle and the other underneath the old wiper arm, and they just pop off, no scratches to anything but the old wiper arms which you are gonna bin anyways.

I have saw a couple of references to these wipers on here. What are they? What are they of off? Anyone got pics?

I know noffin! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush2.gif

The method i find works is to bang on the arm just after the spindle with your fist...about 5 good hit and its loose! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have saw a couple of references to these wipers on here. What are they? What are they of off? Anyone got pics?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a pic of mine fitted. (Please ignore the Bling Bling tax disk holder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
32639-wipers.jpg

A few weeks ago, I saw a thread about bashing wiper arms with a hammer to remove from the spindle, when they're seized on. This is how i got mine off.

1. With the bonnet up, lever the caps off and remove the retaining nuts with socket. Spray with WD40

2. Whilst WD40 soaks in, unpack the new kit, inspect, assemble blades to arms.

3. After about three minutes, with the bonnet down, remove the old wiper blades from the arms. This enables you to work on the wiper arm with the bonnet up again

4. With the bonnet up , pull the arm back on the spring, & turn against the spindle. No need to give a sharp tug, just firm presuure, gradually increasing until the "seal" between trhe arm and the spindle breaks. Once it does, the arm comes straight off.

5. Position the new arms and blades nice and low on the spinbdles, screw the retaining nuts on & refit the caps.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a pic of mine fitted. (Please ignore the Bling Bling tax disk holder /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
32639-wipers.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif don't worry about the bling tax disc holder, my girlfreind bought me one off ebay. Wasn't even alloy, it was plastic! It hasn't been put on the car YET!

Anyway back to the wipers, are they a VAG option then?

Whats the general cost for such a modification?
Does this come in a kit form or do you need a list of part Nos to take to your local dealer?
Do you also replace the rear wiper?

They are doing a groupbuy on mkiv forums atm, front wipers are £45 delivered for the pair

how much are the replacement blades and where from anyone know?

Is it me or am I the only person that doesn't like them.

I think they look wrong.

Sorry, but I do.

Do they clean the window better? If they do then thats another thing.

imho they are the same, just stay planted at higher speeds, due to the fin that runs along the backbone for the blade, i like em

[ QUOTE ]

4. With the bonnet up , pull the arm back on the spring, & turn against the spindle. No need to give a sharp tug, just firm presuure, gradually increasing until the "seal" between trhe arm and the spindle breaks. Once it does, the arm comes straight off.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried this, but the spindle was moving side to side too so I got scared I was going to bust the mechanism /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I fitted them a few weeks back. I set the wipers in vertical position and then opened the bonnet. I wiggled the wipers from side to side and used the arm of the wiper as the lever. Came off fine.

The trick was putting the wiper into the vertical position as I was having no luck when they were in the normal rest position.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it me or am I the only person that doesn't like them.

I think they look wrong.

Sorry, but I do.

Do they clean the window better? If they do then thats another thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what you mean, I'm not sure they are any better either (looking that is) I suppose I would need to see them on a car for real!

The reason | am interested in this Mod is that after fitting the Bosch wipers with spoilers, the near-side spoiler keeps hitting the plastic bulk head pannel, which in heavy rain (always up here) gets very irritating. I know I could remove the near-side wiper and replace with a normal blade, but I would like to keep them, as I find they do keep the blades firmly on the windscreen. From reading other posts on these it seems a really good practical mod.