Misfiring on cylinder 4?

Tim_Attard

Reaction score
Hello,

i am the proud owner of a audi a3 8l 2003 1.8t and while driving to work today it started to make a bad rumbling noise and misfire (or what i think is misfire) anyway i pulle dover and used my torque app to scan for fault codes and gave me: p0304 which is misfire on cylinder 4.

i drove it to the garage and they will be looking at it in the morning i just wanted to know what sort of problem would i most likely be looking at and what sort of price range?

Thanks
Tim

It's usually just a coilpack that's has failed, very common on these engines. Other than that it can be a damaged spark plug (happened to myself) or damaged coil pack wiring. If it's just a coil pack then I think the last one I brought was about £30.

thank you so much ha ive jsut spent a few 100 on parts/paint for modding the inside and really didnt want to have to strip the engine :/ u have filled me with confidence.. altho if ur wrong and tomorrow i get shown a big bill u sir are in trouble :p

Sounds like it could be a coilpack or a spark plug, genuine coils are about £30, Spark Plugs are about a fiver each, if both of those are changed and its still an issue, I would be looking at the coil pack harness.

Let us know how you get on.

Labour wont be too much as its only a 5 minute job for coil and sparks..