Coolant change . (how to)?

s33nyboy12

Reaction score
I haven't found a definitive guide on changing your coolant and I haven't done a coolant change in a while, I want to make sure A) I'm doing it right and B) I'm not missing any good hints or tips on how to do it.....:)

1) make sure car isnt too hot from running
2) raise car on Ramps or jacks
3) locate coolant drain , on s3 passenger side front just behind front bumper tray ect ect.
4) open bonnet and then locate coolant reservoir , remove coolant cap ( let's drain quicker)
5) open tap on coolant drain , pull tap towards back of car and rotate clockwise 90 degrees
6) let it drain into a large enough container to take the contents of the reservoir approx 5 litres, completely drained! Turn tap off.
7) put g12 pink coolant at a 50/50 mixture with water into the reservoir bottle until it is full.
8) start the car and let it run up to running temp, some of the coolant will go into the system so top up again
9) wedge the accelerator at about 1200rpm , screw the coolant cap back on but not all the way down bleed air out system, continue to top up as needed until the level stays in between the min or max Mark on the reservoir . ( approx 5 litres to fill)
10) screw the cap down completely and take wedge off accelerator , job done?

So any help on this would be great, I'm planning on doing this at the weekend or sometime soon. If anyone has done a guide point me in the direction of it.

Cheers in advance guys.

Sean

Draining from the radiator won't clear all the coolant as there will still be a load in the block... not sure what the official method is but if I remember I'll check my haynes manual when I get home from work...

I normally drain cooling systems when removing heads and turbos so drain the block from the water pipe at the back of the block....

<tuffty/>

also been thinking of doing this as i need to replace my thermostat,i dont think the coolant has been changed since new in 2002. I would say its unliekly you would ever get every last bit of coolant out. Just to confirm you will have how are people mixing their water & G12 ? or what are they mixing it in ? a 3litre bottle ?

Ok... had a read of the trusty Haynes and they suggest undoing a pipe from the oil cooler (the oil filter screws on to this) if you want to drain the coolant 'fully'

<tuffty/>

Reactions: MPH and Westy
Don't forget when you have changed the coolant to run the car with Heaters on max for 10-15 mins, also helps with bleeding so I was told.

Ok guys so I know it doesnt drain fUlly but we are only talking half a litre or so in the block so 5 litres of fresh 50/50 mix g12 with water would be sufficient.

Am I correct other than my choice of drain off point.....?

Tuffty does your Haynes manual read about the same as my numbered list then other than my drain point?

Bought the g12 from tps today, want to do it this weekend.

Cheers, Sean

also been thinking of doing this as i need to replace my thermostat,i dont think the coolant has been changed since new in 2002. I would say its unliekly you would ever get every last bit of coolant out. Just to confirm you will have how are people mixing their water & G12 ? or what are they mixing it in ? a 3litre bottle ?

Get a bucket with capacity markings, buy 5 litres of g12 or quantum equivalent from tps and pour 2.5 litres into the bucket then top the coolant bottle up to top with water and then add 2.5 litres of water to the bucket with g12 in.

So half the coolant in a bucket
Top both up with water
= 50/50 mix

Get a bucket with capacity markings, buy 5 litres of g12 or quantum equivalent from tps and pour 2.5 litres into the bucket then top the coolant bottle up to top with water and then add 2.5 litres of water to the bucket with g12 in.

So half the coolant in a bucket
Top both up with water
= 50/50 mix

Why not just buy 2.5 litres of G12 / 13 rather than 5 litres? Especially as you would be using a 50/50 mix of Coolant and water?

Because it's on offer at tps for £11 for 5 litres or £9.87 for 1l .

There January madness sale , also it actually takes between 5.5-6 litres of 50/50 mixed with water!

I did mine last week. Once I drained it from the tap, I ran water through the system until the fluid draining out turned clear

I thought about doing that but it would need extra coolant to go with the water that was put in on its own. I decided not to as id be unsure of how much

Nah, once it was draining clear water. I waiting until it had stopped dripping then screwed the tap tight. put the coolant in and then deionised water and started the engine with the heating on full.just keep topping up as the engine is running. when the heaters are hot then your done. just make sure there is enough above the minimum level in the tank

I might be wrong but what iv read on here, after the tap stops dripping, theres still some left in the engine. If that water is just water. I would of thought the mix would be wrong.

It's not that's important to get BANG on 50/50 mix , if your that worried mix 2.2 litres of water with 2.8 litres of coolant and make it slightly too strong than too weak...... Or similar before anyone gets too scientific. I think Audi recommend coolant change once every 5 years now , but I would do mine every 20k or 2-3 years just from personal preference.

:) Sean

Im not worried. Its more an OCD thing :)
Is a flush really needed?
Spoke to the mechanic at work and he said id its a lot of messing around for what u'd achieve

I didn't flush it out when I did it on my LCR last month , but a lot of people OCD orientated do ! Give it bash mate and see how you get on with the 50/50 mix . Report back let us know how you get on.

dispose of the old coolant in an enviro friendly way *** seany disclaimer****

Sean

Haha...
I already done it. And its staying in there! At £27 im gettin my moneys worth lol.
I rushed out to get some before doing the n249 bypass.
It seems ok... Waters a clear pink.
My mpg has come up from 19-25 after an oil change also.