AWD doesn't work. Probably NOT haldex

Rokas

Reaction score
Hi,

I've read (don't remember where) that if you have a problem with awd, you can lift your car, put it in 1st and see if the rear wheels are turning, and if they are, you should know whether it's the wiring, haldex or a pre-charge pump. So today I took my '01 154kW S3 to local garage. And while the car was lifted, wheels were turning, but I don't have any power delivered to rear while on snow. We checked the wiring and it seemed to be good. We didn't have any time to check haldex or pump.

so is it possible to know if it's the pump or haldex that doesn't work?

Sorry if some terms are incorrect, I'm new in all this :)

If you turn tightly (full lock) does the car skip? The inside wheel locks momentarily?

There are service records when this car was still in France. It has done around 15k since last service record.

Tomorrow I'll try if the car skips while turning

was the handbrake off??? think it needs to be to activate the haldex

maek

was the handbrake off??? think it needs to be to activate the haldex

maek

I've looked into this with the snow, mine still sends power to the rear if the handbrake is on or not. I heard before it disconnects but does not seem to be true.

I've looked into this with the snow, mine still sends power to the rear if the handbrake is on or not. I heard before it disconnects but does not seem to be true.

Did you pull the hand brake up more then one click?

When i click mine up once its doesn't do anything although the light indicates on the dash its on, although AWD is still there. I have to click it up again for the haldex to disengage..

If you turn tightly (full lock) does the car skip? The inside wheel locks momentarily?

So I've tried that today and nothing happened. The wheel wasn't locking... (tried with ESP on and off)

edit: and the hand brake of course was off

Haldex issues are common and annoying to diagnose, your best bet is to get it scanned by a decent garage with vcds and see what codes come up. When my haldex controller died i had loads of codes along the lines of "can't communicate with controller" bit when the pte charge pump went there was no codes...

Ben, that could be a number of issues, there are a far few of us on here that are having this issue, but alot of us are still trying to get to the bottom of it, some have done a haldex oil and filter change and this has resolved it, some have had a bad earth strap under the car, new diff, replace diff oil, lots of different things could be causing the issue.

Was about to say earth strap. I have some spare as well although not specific for the car, Worth checking that. Otherwise it's a scan on vagcom which tbh you should do first!