Oil Light flashing with 3 beeps - Sounds Rough

danderton

Reaction score
Hi all,

Driving my car today the oil light came on along with 3 beeps. I stopped straight away and checked the oil, all was ok.

I decided to limp home (only 3 miles) and have a browse online.

After reading someone suggested checking the oil sensor, so i checked it was connected properly (removed cleaned and replaced) and went for a drive.

All was going well until about 15 mins later the light came back on. Bugga. I was going to limp home (again not too far) until it started to sound rough. (noisy like a tractor) i stopped straight away and got a tow home.

From research - the pick up lines sound blocked so its unable to suck oil and Hence it sounding like a dirty diesel.

I guess the best bet is getting a tow to the garage and getting the pickup and the sump cleaned. Is this correct? How much should i be looking at?

I wondered if it would end up cheaper getting new parts rather than pay labor on the parts being cleaned.

The car was last serviced less than 1000 miles ago with the correct oil, and vagcom shows no errors.

Forgot to add S3 8L 210 2000 reg

Ouch. I really hope not. I have not fault codes or anything. Any way to tell?

change pick up. refill with oil and cross fingers is the easiest. Otherwise it's labour to strip stuff to look.

RED is bad....

Removing sump and checking pickup pipe should have been the very least thing you did on getting the warning lights .... i hope you will be lucky but it's rare not to have caused damage once you've ran it making a noise... good luck pal

Thanks - I hope i'm lucky too. The light went off so thought it was ok to drive. :(

Sounds like another casualty of the long life service, such a shame. Taking the sump off and checking and cleaning the pick-up pipe isnt a massive job. Hopefully you don't need an engine rebuild.

Hi guys just an update incase anyone else does have this issue and comes across this thread.

I can confirm that the the oil pick up was blocked. I dropped the sump and gave that and the strainer a jolly good clean.

Resealed and oiled and hoped for the best.

Looks like i was a lucky boy - No other issues and seems to be driving soooo much smoother :)

Happened to me when i first bought my car.

After clearing the sump and pickup i flushed the oil twice with an additive. After seeing what the pickup and sump was full of, expect oil galleries to not be so clean. That was my theory anyway. Nearly 3 years later its been perfect.

Reactions: danderton