Monster MotorsportChris Nott
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I stripped my Forge DV down as i wasnt sure if it was leaking... Advice needed please

6th Gear

Status

I stripped my Forge DV down as i wasnt sure if it was leaking... Advice needed please

Would vasoline work?
    I mean it is a good lube ;-)
    I'm going to lap my piston again tomorrow at work. In the same way I would do a valve to seat on a cylinder head. Would starting with a cordless drill slowly to rough the seat be too harsh? Then finish it by hand,
    I know forge do a service kit but once I've lapped the piston in would a new piston never fit? Or just not needed?
    Does anybody have a spare shim?
    Or do I need to swap to yellow spring too?
    Is the spring you need linked in any way to how/ who mapped the car?
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Paul ive got a shim you can have.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

6th Gear

Status
    Top banana .
    are they all the same thickness?
    When could I get it?
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Bear in mind that the grease generally used is a silicon based one... this won't damage rubber seals... if you plan to change regularly then maybe it will be ok but petroleum based greases affect normal rubber o-rings which I believe the Forge ones are.. The kits are cheap enough to buy tbh...

Use a green spring and a shim... the shim goes in first... reduces the volume of the piston (as Bill has mentioned before, air is stretchy as well as compressible) this will help the piston react faster... use a little grease or silicon to seal the shim where it sits in teh piston... use a green spring for the DV... mapping has nowt to do with DV's...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Status
    Yup, think ive got 4 so wont miss them. If you can come through this weekend mate, then. Id say during week but im in manchester for the next 2 weeks mon to fri.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post

forge do a service kit.
    o rings and grease.

+1

Also if you contact forge and ask nicely then they sometimes give you a complete kit with choice of spring for free

If not then you can buy it from forge here:

http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/content.asp?inc=product&catalog=0007

Of on ebay here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORGE-MOTORSPORT-DUMP-VALVE-SERVICE-KIT-007P-ETC-/260857498410?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& hash=item3cbc518b2a
    Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

Money grabbing s3!

Status

I stripped my Forge DV down as i wasnt sure if it was leaking... Advice needed please

It is pretty stiff to push the piston up with the blue spring, but then I've got nothing bar a standard one to compare it too. I put the standard one back on and took it down the road earlier, I recon it boosts better tbh. I got the valve 2nd hand and at the time didn't know you could service them and change springs etc. I'm gonna sell the forge I think.

Audi s3 goodwood green, BAM, n249 delete, 80mm TIP, s2000 air-filter, new turbo, ap coil overs, lots of poly bushes, 15mm spacers all round rolling on 18'' RSTT's

1st Gear

Status
    This?

CHEMICO ENGINE VALVE GRINDING PASTE + LAP STICK LAPPING TOOL KIT COARSE & SMOOTH | eBay

I'm going to take my 008 apart tomorrow and swop the yellow for the advised green and shim.

I hope the above kit won't be needed, as forge have improved the piston seal on the 008 from the 007. I hope

6th Gear

Status
    Well, as advised i dropped forge an email last night at about 10pm,
    this morning i received a reply saying... sorry to hear im having problems and that they will send me a service kit including a redesigned piston ( with a seal on) free of charge, They also said that if i run over 15psi of boost to stick with the yellow spring and see how that fairs.
    I am very impressed with the speed of the reply it was before 9 am! and the offer of free help .
    fingers crossed the forge DV may make it back on to the car in the near future.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paultownsend View Post
    This?

CHEMICO ENGINE VALVE GRINDING PASTE + LAP STICK LAPPING TOOL KIT COARSE & SMOOTH | eBay

I'm going to take my 008 apart tomorrow and swop the yellow for the advised green and shim.

I hope the above kit won't be needed, as forge have improved the piston seal on the 008 from the 007. I hope
    That is exactly the same paste and stick i have so yeh, thats fine
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Personally I still think a yellow spring could be a tad stiff... but can't fault Forge on their service... I would still try the green and a shim as a back to back and see how you get on... if they done what I think they have with an o-ring seal on the piston then it shouldn't really need a yellow spring to hold it shut... remember the pressure will be the same both sides of the piston under boost so it should force it open (when fitted the correct way round rather than having boost acting on the bottom of the piston itself)

Good work...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Paul View Post
    they will send me a service kit including a redesigned piston ( with a seal on)
    Pics when it arrives please.

Whoever does not try, does not learn.

Status
    Yes it does – based on the sound that I hear when I lift off the accelerator, I get a whooshing sound type noise, when the air is being recirculated. At the time when I bought the DV, I thought it was a direct replacement, didn’t really know about the different spring rates and shims until afterwards. I’ve never had any issues, must be lucky!

Over the last few years, of not using the correct size allen key, I round the bolts. Asked for replacements bolt parts from Forge, and they sent a replacement kit for free – brilliant service
    Audi S3 (52) 265bhp Revo Stage 1

6th Gear

Status
    well i received anothe email about 10 mins after sending my postal address saying the parts would be posted first class today. Realy good service!
    I will post pictures before i build it up. The only thing i need to sort now is something to seal the side port thread. ive removed it and cleaned off what looks like old locktite ,now the question is ... what can i use that i can get localy to reseal it.
    Halfords do a few high temp silicones but which to use as its not listed in the directions
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Use a sump sealent or something.

Badger 5 Edition

Status

1st Gear

Status
    Just purchased a new 710N valve from TPS. Forge 008 in the for sale section soon......

6th Gear

Status
    thanks Paul,
    that was top of my little list ,
    a mate has said he uses two silicone based sealers to build Honda engines... Gets it from the dealers,
    He says I can use that , I think after a chat with him and looking the product up it sound spot on,
    i finished lapping the current piston in before I got the email from forge, so I will post pictures of that and the new one the are sending before I rebuild the DV
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

Status
    You still want a shim dude?

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Paul View Post
    Well, as advised i dropped forge an email last night at about 10pm,
    this morning i received a reply saying... sorry to hear im having problems and that they will send me a service kit including a redesigned piston ( with a seal on) free of charge, They also said that if i run over 15psi of boost to stick with the yellow spring and see how that fairs.
    I am very impressed with the speed of the reply it was before 9 am! and the offer of free help .
    fingers crossed the forge DV may make it back on to the car in the near future.

Told ya
    Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    New forge piston...

Its got a lower seal on the seat, and the surface area inside is greatly reduced...

www.badger5.co.uk

Status
    seems they're listening
    fair play...
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Status
    Itll be interesting to see what piston design my forge supersize valve is, ill be stripping it down to fit a shim so ill post pics up to see if it is the old piston design of the improved version.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    New forge piston...

Its got a lower seal on the seat, and the surface area inside is greatly reduced...

Looks good but i cant help thinking....

what if that o-ring comes off ?

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by A3 T View Post

Looks good but i cant help thinking....

what if that o-ring comes off ?
    Then you're ****ed.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

6th Gear

Status

Dani could post a pic of forges supersized dv piston when you get it?

They've already replaced mine to an updated one already (FOC) but curious if they will be putting some kind of seal on there now?

The original is the one on the right with the radius and the newer one was with the flat bottom

Power & Torque 335bhp 285ftlb
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ld-thread.html

Status
    Thabks for that stacey, i now know what spec the piston will be and yeah course i will. How does the top come off? Screw top or allen screw? Also what spring you running?

1st Gear

Status
    Fitted a new 710n from TPS today. A lot better than my 008.
    My lump has only a k03 but has a rock steady -22hg vacume. A green spring in the 008 would blow open up to 5 psi then the car would spin its wheels. With the yellow it held better at low boost, dump at light throttle, but would still chirp at certain loads. Shims mad it worse either way.

710n holds perfect boost from vacume to its now 17psi boost. The new forge absolutely leaked. Great for £120 and purchased as a 'stage 1' must!

Thanks for the advice bill et all

Status
    Also the new design looks alot better.

6th Gear

Status

Mines a screw top and running a yellow spring with a shim to reduce volume as I stupidly sold the 007 with the green spring as buyer requested it and I thought I'd never use it

Anyone got a spare green spring (shameless plug) lol
    Power & Torque 335bhp 285ftlb
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ld-thread.html

Status
    Haha what you like. I may be able to help you out with that mate. Ill have to check when im back home friday but ill let you know m

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Then you're ****ed.

Keep it short and say it how it is

Maybe we should stick with the old one.

6th Gear

Status
    Im prety sure the likely hood of the seal "falling off" has been looked into and tested?
    I wouldnt expect the would offer to send these pistons out to cure a problem if they had tested any and they had fallen off?
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Hopefully they've done more testing than they did on the originals.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

Money grabbing s3!

Status
    well I contacted forge Monday evening and I haven't had a reply... ooh well the standard valve is back on and I think I prefer it.

Audi s3 goodwood green, BAM, n249 delete, 80mm TIP, s2000 air-filter, new turbo, ap coil overs, lots of poly bushes, 15mm spacers all round rolling on 18'' RSTT's

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Hopefully they've done more testing than they did on the originals.
    Never ever happy FACT
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    So are we now saying that a green spring with a shim is better than the yellow spring in a 007p for stage 2 cars?

Also is the redesigned piston that forge have released makes the DV operate better?
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Well mine is back on the car and it feels/sounds a lot sharper...

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    Cool will fire off an email to Forge and see if I can get a re designed piston for my 007p then.

In regards to springs should I stick with the yellow?
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Yes deffo as the volume as decreased

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast