Sorry to be thick - what exactly does an antiroll bar do

pflowers

Reaction score
Hi,

As per title really, the reason for asking is that my S3 went into the dealers today for amongst other things an annoying vibration through the steering at motorway speeds. I have had the wheels balanced several times and swapped front to rear in case a tyre / wheel was duff. But the fault remained.

Anyway the dealer said they could not replicate the problem but that the antiroll bar and bushings needed changing ( under warranty thank god! ) So the question is what does the antiroll bar do ( ie how does it work ) and could this be the cause of my problem. The freindly ( but no use at all ) service receptionist knew less than me.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif
Any feedback would be appreciated !

Peter

Thanks I understand now !

But will it cause the vibration ?

possible, but more likely to make knocking noises on bumpy stuff.

warped brakes could also cause vibration.

[ QUOTE ]
possible, but more likely to make knocking noises on bumpy stuff.

warped brakes could also cause vibration.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hadn't noticed any knocking noises, I had thought of warped discs by surely it would get worse when braking ( which it doesn't ) ?

not meaning to be geeky guys but be aware that howstuffworks.com is full of AD-AWARE/spy software...

yes you would think so.

Free warranty replacement of Anti roll bar bushes is not a bad thing, they would need to be done at some point in the cars life anyway.

and obviously would eliminate them from your ivestigation of the vibration if they dont solve it.

[ QUOTE ]
not meaning to be geeky guys but be aware that howstuffworks.com is full of AD-AWARE/spy software...

[/ QUOTE ]

had not noticed, I just googled it, easier to link to something already written than try and reinvent the wheel.

I dont use the site.

i run decent anti virus/firewall
and run ad aware daily.

coupled with IE's pop up blocker thingamy jig, i dont tend to get any issues.

i know someone else with a S3, that had "play" in his wishbone bushes

this first looked like it was warped brakes but wasnt.

Just throwing in another idea.

Since I've had both symptoms, I can only describe warped disks as vibration through the steering and brake pedal, which gets worse as the brakes warm up. And with knackered wishbone bushes, would be vibration through the steering whilst braking, more noticeable at high speeds.