Modified Airbox??

tried it for a laugh, and took it off.

Noise was entertaining for all of a day, and i hated the idea of sucking in all that heat.

what people often forget is Wak has a FMIC and also extra duct work to help compensate.

temps get pretty hostile under a S3/TT bonnet let alone if your chipped.

retain the standard box and replace the paper audi filter every 10k miles

i remember this vaguely working on my digi mk2 golf, but horribly on my corrado v6.

Why would you be interested in drawing more hot air into the engine?

I was under the impression that s3's had a air intake routed to the wing anyway?

yes it has. its small but does the job.

most people mod for more noise.

Like you've both said, I was amazed at how much heat there is in and around the engine bay, also seems like a waste of a perfectly good airbox

Wonder why some of the TT boys do this, just for abit of sound?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

At what point does the standard airbox become restrictive, or is not the airbox but the MAF housing?

MTM use it for their big turbo conversion so that speaks volumes.

I got one cheap, and was in a modding mood, but it was a waste of time with regards to performance..

I have the standard airbox,panel filter and a larger feed ,still to the wing.
360bhp,enough said.

a improvement on this would be a full carbon air-box with big feed but no-one does one and i don't mean those bmc things.

Looks nice but at £500 is it worth 5-6bhp?

looks the poodles plums, and doesnt look out of place under the bonnet like those BMC, Tiapan, SteveSchwing things

but horrendously expensive, for what is a carbon fibre covered K and N cone filter using the same wheel arch feed.

I'd be interested to know what the diameter of the feed was.

same as OEM IIRC.

Clive D has this on his TT.

i believe it fits flush up against the wheel arch.

Ryanc, how have you achieved 360hp, big turbo? ,what are your thoughts on the bmc as i have one but took it off because i thought i was going to kill the maf and i felt low down torque was less. cheers

I've heard that the gruppem kit is open underneath ,so it's not sealed to the wheel arch like a bmc or ttda.
Sounds good,can't justify £500 for one though.
What did you use as the feed for the bmc?I've heard if you use a long straw type feed it can be harder to force air through and harms throttle response.Short feed from the wheelarch is fine,would be better if it was bigger.
Yes big turbo,ihi,injectors,custom fmic,wi etc etc.

[ QUOTE ]
Yes big turbo,ihi,injectors,custom fmic,wi etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who did you get to do your big turbo conversion Ryan, and would you recommend them?

I don't really know much about these conversions apart they put a bigger turbo on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif what else is involved?
Just interested to know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ryanc, how have you achieved 360hp, big turbo? ,what are your thoughts on the bmc as i have one but took it off because i thought i was going to kill the maf and i felt low down torque was less. cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy,

Ive been using a TTDA for many months now which uses a K&N filter. Not had a single contamination related MAF issue and obviously mine is sucking pretty hard and if oil was goingto get sucked onto the MAF and damage it, it would have done it by now.

Thanks Rich, i am going to refit this weekend, only not to sure about where to route the feed, i may try ryans short feed idea to the opening on the inner wing, (factory feed), however i may have more room for a longer feed to where the n/s intercooler was, does the length affect torque?

affects throttle response.Nothing wrong with factory feed .

yes it is. keep it.

i wouldnt bother with a K&N.

i stick to paper Audi ones replaced every 10k miles.

More specifically even on a chipped S3 it is not restrictive to airflow therefore altering it makes no power.

Of the 30+ dyno plots I have for the S3, one is a comparison between an OEM paper filter and a K&N panel - running at 1.8bar there was no difference, in fact slightly less power with the K&N although it was probbably heatsoak from the previous run.

[ QUOTE ]
and check out some of mods he's carried out on his TT i.e DV Relocation, MAF Descreening, Extra engine earthing

Has anyone carried out any of these mods?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, yes and yes...
Dyno's before and after...

[ QUOTE ]

do they have any benefits

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no and no.

DV relocation does seem to increase the time between DV rebuilds though...

MAF de-screening cost me a MAF 3 weeks later. Coincidence? Maybe...MAF still wears it's screen now though...no point in risking it in my view...it gives you no more power.

i run the extra earthing, but only because i cant be ***** to remove it.

before after readings hot and cold were negligable.

it might help on load, but its hard to test and not worth messing about to try,

[ QUOTE ]
i run the extra earthing, but only because i cant be ***** to remove it.

before after readings hot and cold were negligable.

it might help on load, but its hard to test and not worth messing about to try,

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here...
Tried it, got no difference...and couldn't be ***** taking it all out.

doesnt interest me,

I like my tidy engine bay,

I dont like the routing, or the fact you have to cut into another hose (another source of a possible boost leak) to fit it.

Id rather service my DV regularly where it is.

I do this anyway, and have never once found it in a condition where it needed it, but it was peace of mind that all is fine and dandy.

All a waste of time,which has been proven.
S3 tuning guide,
1.) remap of your choice
2.)Big turbo conversion

All the bolt-ons are not worth the ££.

[ QUOTE ]
All a waste of time,which has been proven.
S3 tuning guide,
1.) remap of your choice
2.)Big turbo conversion

All the bolt-ons are not worth the ££.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have done a few things which i have removed because they were /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif.

k&n panel filter waste of time gave me no bhp

ttda and big maf gained horsepower, but lost loads of torque(-28ftlbs)

i am now running a standard airbox and paper filter with the inlet hole modded slightly to take 2 rammed 75mm ducts. and it works ****** great.
292bhp and loads of torque
inductionpipes.jpg

I notice that the improved ttda is open ended with feeds from wing and front bumper.
Nothing wrong with standard airbox at chipped levels,becomes a restriction with paper filter at 320+bhp ,then the box itself becomes a restriction at 350bhp.
Most people won't reach those levels.

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing wrong with standard airbox at chipped levels,becomes a restriction with paper filter at 320+bhp ,then the box itself becomes a restriction at 350bhp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, but the standard airbox is standard...so it must be bad, surely?

It's not carbon fibre...so it must be worse performing, surely?

It's not in any way, shape, or form, bling...so it must be bad, surely?

It's not noisy, so it must be worse, surely?

It's standard...and therefore free...so compared to some bling trophy that's cost £150+, it must perform worse, surely?

I think we know the answer to those questions, don't we? At least those wo don't believe the hype...