Chris NottVolks Autos
    6th Gear

Status

Time to think about a turbo upgrade from 130pd

After the last few days worrying about a blown turbo that wasnt, Im thinking now about taking preventative measure, and replacing the turbo as a matter of course. car is on 90k now, I have drove the last 20k and no idea about internal condition of turbo.

So my thoughts are to opt for a 150pd as a bolt on upgrade.
    However im wondering, what are the differences between the 130 and 150 turbo? Could i just replace the innards of my current turbo with a balanced new 150 cartridge? Or are there more differences?

Any recomended suppliers?

The safe option is obviously to let the garage supply and fit. Any other turbo option? Along with this ill be expecting to have new boost pipes and higher capacity intercooler, and a remap to suit. Not looking for crazy power, its already pretty good with a remap alone.
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by @udi A3 View Post
    After the last few days worrying about a blown turbo that wasnt, Im thinking now about taking preventative measure, and replacing the turbo as a matter of course. car is on 90k now, I have drove the last 20k and no idea about internal condition of turbo.

So my thoughts are to opt for a 150pd as a bolt on upgrade.
    However im wondering, what are the differences between the 130 and 150 turbo? Could i just replace the innards of my current turbo with a balanced new 150 cartridge? Or are there more differences?

Any recomended suppliers?

The safe option is obviously to let the garage supply and fit. Any other turbo option? Along with this ill be expecting to have new boost pipes and higher capacity intercooler, and a remap to suit. Not looking for crazy power, its already pretty good with a remap alone.

The 130 and 150 are slightly different, the 150 is a VB whilst the 130 is VA version of the same turbo, basically the 150pd has a slightly bigger compressor wheel, the rest is identical.

Best and only upgrade to these turbo's is to get a larger compressor wheel fitted, you are limited to the original turbine wheel as the VNT is a limiting size.*

You should really speak to a guy called Adam at tditurbo's he's the one I recommend for TDI turbo's. He does a very good verison with a BDM compressor wheel , good for over 200bhp.*

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    The cost of going from a mapped TDI to anything more gets expensive very quickly.

You will need a clutch and DMF or an SMF conversion before long with a new turbo, and possibly injectors depending on the power you're after.

Personally I see no reason to replace a turbo as a "preventative measure" - these cars are generally reliable and 90k isn't really much for the PD engine or turbo IMO. On predominantly US forum TDI-Club there are plenty of people with 200-400k on their motors. My PD130 is on 195k and pulls strongly without issue. If you are set on replacing the turbo then a hybrid is a decent option or the 2256 from a 3.0 TDI. You will need a clutch, DMF, injectors and manifold and actuator though.
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST