Speaker issues

carld

Reaction score
Hello. I recently paid a garage to fit a new headunit into my tqs that had the concert headunit as standard. The problem is that the front speakers sound absolutely awful now and most of the sound is coming from the rear speakers which sound great. Could anybody advise me on fixing the issue? It almost sounds as if its just the tweeters working in the front.

Thanks.

I don't think it did mate. Is there a way to check so i can be 100% sure?

Do you have BOSE written on the door card speaker grills...

Just checked and it doesnt have anything written on the grills.

Try adjusting the front/rear fade to see if you can counter the fact the rears are powered by the sub amp in the boot.

I already tried that before making a thread pal, the fronts really are pathetic. Actually sounds like the sub doesnt even work anymore after the head unit was fitted.

Cheers for the replies btw

Depends which adapter they used to integrate the new HU with the Audi loom that feeds the rears and sub. Usually it is the rears that are not loud enough.
First check the subwoofer in the boot to ascertain whether it is a Bose system or not as they are very different. If the sub has two 4" speakers then it's a Bose system, if it has a single 6" driver then it's non Bose. Not all 8L's had Bose grilles on the door cards.
The Bose system is fully amped so all the cabin speakers run off a separate amp in the drivers side cubbyhole in the boot. The sub runs off it's own amp inside the tupperware enclosure.
The non Bose system runs the fronts off the HU and the rears and sub off an amp inside the sub enclosure.
This is why the fronts are normally a lot louder running off an aftermarket HU which will have 2 x 50w going to the fronts with only 2 x 20w going to the rears from the puny Audi amp.
As you are getting different results front & rear then I imagine you do indeed have the non Bose system
There are 2 different adapters to feed the rear amp:
RCA input - which is a clean straight through wiring adapter taking the rear pre-outs from the HU and feeding them directly to the rear amp
Speaker input - this takes the high power speaker outputs from the HU and feeds them through a cheap hi-lo converter to take them back down to pre-out level which then feeds the rear amp.
I would guess they've used the latter and jacked up the level on it, but that's just a guess.
You really need to pull the HU out and post some pics of the wiring at the back.
The front woofers and tweeters both run off the same wiring so they couldn't be just driving the tweeters, although they could have quite easily blown the front woofers with the extra power leaving you with just the tweeters working - this sounds more likely, as the stock woofers are only rated for 2 x 20w

Thanks alot for the help Andy. I'll have a look at the sub tomorrow morning and also post some pictures up of my stereo wiring.

The front speakers do work, its just that they are that quiet it sounds as if its just the tweeters that are working.

Last edited:
Checked the sub and it only has one speaker and I've also taken some pictures of the wiring. I can get better ones tomorrow if needed.

ZNtq5.jpg

qkfyg.jpg

iEN1M.jpg

Os1hX.jpg

So its non Bose.
the Brown ISO plug is the front speaker harness, which seems to be connected correctly
the white ISO plug is the one we need to see as its the rear speaker outputs from the new HU - what's plugged into that?

Hi mate. I've got more pictures but they aren't great as the wires won't pull out anymore

Srqv3.jpg

1U6IK.jpg

h1HIC.jpg

If you route around in there you should find a box of electronics on the end of that loom, which should then have a wider red plug on it that plugs into the mini ISO 20 pin Audi loom that feeds the rear amp.
That's the bit I need to see, just to ensure they haven't fed those rear speaker outputs directly into the rear amp.
I would replace that adapter with the PC9-404 RCA input adapter which doesn't use the rear speaker output, but the rear pre-outs on RCA plugs (as long as your HU has rear pre-outs).
This is far better as it doesn't use any electronics in between and provides a far cleaner signal to the rear amp.

Yes that's a speaker input adapter - PC9-408.
You need a PC9-404 RCA input adapter and get rid of all that unnecessary wiring/electronics

Okay thanks very much for the help mate. Will go to the garage tomorrow and tell them they gave me the wrong wires. Hopefully they sort it lol. Thanks again pal

Ordered that one mate. Thanks very much. I will let you know how it goes.

Cable arrived and now my front speakers sound alot better. Can also hear the sub working which I couldn't before. Only problem is now my rear speakers sound like they don't work at all lol. I've uploaded another pic too see if I've wired it up right.
ublgT2n.jpg

Yes you will have to fade to rear quite a bit to balance the sound, you only have 2 x 20w feeding the rears from the Audi rear/sub amp, while the fronts will be getting 2 x 50w from the new HU.