How much does mileage matter?

Priggy

Reaction score
Been lookin to upgrade from a 1.6 to a 1.8T runnin on a slight budget though.
and the cars I'm looking at have 110000 - 140000 miles on the cclock just wondering how much this matters and what kinda mileage things need to be changed at such as suspension and clutch etc..

If its been well looked after then mileage isnt a problem, Prawns 355bhp race car had 216k on it iirc, whatever you buy as soon as you get it drop the oil and filter, then the sump and replace the oil pick up pipe.

My car has 120k on the clock and is very clean inside and out... engines if looked after and have regular oil changes are very good and last very well... the things that go wrong are typical of ANY 1.8t of this age (regardless of mileage I will say)... biggest issues are anything thats rubber in the engine bay... all the PCV and vacuum pipes have a habit of rotting... if you find one that hasn't got a split pipe these days its because the previous owner has already had it changed... don't be too put off by it as all of this stuff is easily and relatively cheap to fix...

Check out modified cars for shoddy looking work as there are a few out there (due to cheap prices) that have not faired well from rudimentary and somewhat pikey mods... be particularly careful with cars that have bleed valves and that have BOVs rather than recirc valves...

I would be taking a version of VCDS or at the very least a generic fault code reader with you and check for any fault codes...

If you do buy one with a few issues then we can help you out with that any way lol...

<tuffty/>

Gonna go take a look at a 1999 1.8T in Cambridge, looks fairly clean and has 130k on the clock. Seems good to me but will take a fault code reader like you mentioned.
It's not been modified which is what I want, as I would like to make it into a project. From reading alot of projects on here there's lots of insperation to go by! Just gotta get a bit of cash in the bank for it lol

I got rid of my 99 1.8TS at 160k and I still miss it, the motor had loads of life left in it. Like tuffty said,it'd had a set of vacuum hoses and needed a window regulator, but it generally flew through its test. If its been cared for through its life, then mileage isn't an issue. I suppose the challenge is finding one that's not been messed around with.

given the age of these cars now, and an average of 12k per year, almost all will be at 120k or higher, so below that would now be low mileage!

Don't be put off by it though, buy a good car, that drives straight and true with some history, and you'll have many years of happy service from it. Just be prepared to have to replace a few things that to die with age like bushes and shocks, and routine engine servicing, and you'll be fine :)

I picked my 1.8t a3 7 months ago and absolutely love it. Bought it on 136k miles, had "full" service history and plenty of receipts with it and touch wood, I've not had any problems with it. What prawn says is correct, be prepared to have to change a few bushes, and be prepared to be chasing the dreaded knock......it seems to be a common fault and is 9 times out of 10 the top mounts

I bought mine 4 months ago with 118k miles. Completely standard and had full service history and the cambelt and waterpump had been changed the previous year.

I've changed a few things on there but none of it was "Necessary" and as others have said its mainly been bushes and suspension work as Mechanically it was sound.

I Dropped my sump and oil pick up and its definitely worth making the priority job as my pickup was probably 60% blocked.

If you can find one that's had a rebuilt engine then it'll be like new. Mine did 123K before I rebuilt it with new rods, oil pump, rings, and refurbished head so now it's done 7K on an almost new engine ;)

My car had full service history and when I did open the engine it didn't have much wear and tear at all, which just goes to show how well this engines last if serviced regularly.

Been lookin to upgrade from a 1.6 to a 1.8T runnin on a slight budget though.
and the cars I'm looking at have 110000 - 140000 miles on the cclock just wondering how much this matters and what kinda mileage things need to be changed at such as suspension and clutch etc..

whats ur budget mate..im going to be selling my car very soon probally once snows gone..

My car is standard except for the gloss black alloys and the back 3 windows tinted but that could always be removed.
my cars is also just hit 99k and its a x reg.car is red and the body work is so good for its age!the fsh backs up the running of the car to..i will be selling mines soon at £3500 gimme a shout if your intrested mate. thanks