Game over, damaged engine.... Only major damage is the cam

Andrew@A.L.D

May add NOS to 600+bhp S3.
Reaction score
Website
www.aldevelopments.com
It happened at idle so i just hope there isn't much damage. Its the exhaust cam and so puzzled why its happened?

Image0421_zpse4e6d482.jpg

Will open up the rest of the engine tomorrow to see what else is damaged

Last edited:
Oh No, I hope you can fix it. x

Christ that's not good news Andrew! Never seen a cam snap like that!

I guess this means that the inlets all just stayed put whilst the engine turned itself to a stop. Fingers crossed for not too many valves being bent!
sad day
:(

I've never seen anything like that before! Hope you get a posative respons from piper.

Disappointing dude... stick an AGU in it ;P

But seriously... hope its not too bad and its salvageable...

<tuffty/>

Andrew i feel your pain dude, ive seen many many cams snapped like that, some broken in to 5 bits, mainly 2.5 TDI T4s when the belt snaps

i would have thought you will prob have 8 bent valves, guides should be fine, so inesance its prob a few valves, a replacement camshaft, gasket set and bolts

when you ring piper make a point the engine has ONLY done 1500 miles and your not overly pleased with the way its failed, they may give you a replacement FOC, hell push for them to supply the gaskets, valves and bolts, defo worth a try dude

one thing tho, when you strip it down take a bucket load of pics, esp the timing marks, ive had it before on a T4 that dropped a valve, 40 miles after a replacement head had been fitted, i took pics of everything and once the head supplier had it he claimed it was timed up wrong so i forwarded on about 60 pictures to him, funney he gave a full refund within about 15mins of me sending the email :)

I have taken the inlet off and it looks like they are ok? Only time will tell with the exhaust valves, the cam did snap between cylinder 1 and 2 and when taking of the cam cover it looks like it should be ok i think?

Surely piper cant claim this is user fault??
Not after 1500 miles ***!

It looks like a clean break so must be a casting issue..... bad batch that piper have??

Im sure theres been this issue before with a fair few engines trashed a while back? I just cant remember what forum/car i had at the time i read that (sorry, not helpful!). Also cant remember if it was piper cams.
Worth a google?

Surely piper cant claim this is user fault??
Not after 1500 miles ***!

It looks like a clean break so must be a casting issue..... bad batch that piper have??

+1 ^^

That's shocking news. I've heard of Piper cams snapping in Cossie-engined cars before but not a clean break like that. I know this is probably a stupid question but did you run it in to their guidelines? Just in case they have any comeback, that's all...

WTF!!! Thats a real bummer man. Hope there isnt to much damaged on the inside.
I have a spare exhaust cat cam. If it would work with a mix and match of cat and piper cams, you can have it for free. Just need to pay shipping from Dubai.

Reactions: turnstyle
Update one the damage

1. Exhaust cam, snapped into 3
2. One cam caps on the head that can be fixed
3. The cam chain tensioner, only the lug were to tool sits but it still can be used

All valves and pistons are mint, only a few det marks on one piston from where i had a problem with some plugs i used

Scullies i just want to say a very big thank you for your offer and if Piper don't deliver i will take you up on the offer

If you can tell me which cam it is i can look at the specs of both cams to see if they are close to the piper ones

Photo's... lots of them please (also use as mentioned above as evidence for Piper...)

Glad to hear things aren't as bad as first feared though dude...

<tuffty/>

The cam is a cast 3652.

Just let me know if you can use it, I can send through more pictures of the lobes and journals if you want.

when my cam snapped on the 2.0 tfsi stage 3
i was doing around 90mph
IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0036.jpg

untitled.jpg

untitledb.jpg

*hoping* for free replacement?

unless there's something else not being mentioned by you, why would they do anything other than warranty it? Let alone the inconvenience caused etc.... I would be livid if my cam snapped like that for no good reason

I say hoping as I've never used piper before. Always used Kent in the past and don't know what piper is like with this sort of problem I've told piper everything and put everything that happened on hereAnd your right I'm not happy it's happend but over the moon nothing else has happen to the engine as it would be very costly

Sounds like a pita but at the same time glad the engine has had a lucky escape mate

Piper should definately cover it, I would be also asking for at least the costs of the gaskets as well

Compared to the rest of your engine, the cams aren't under a particularly large amount of stress. Yours spins faster than most, but it's nothing in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully she'll be back to her sweet self shortly :)

Rick