Which cheap coilovers for a daily?

S3 Paul

Reaction score
Sorry to ask but there are loads of brands at around the same price...
Its for our family bus. VW Bora ( not an S3 i know) but mk4 based
It seems to be FK or JOM that keep coming up.
Its more to make the car look right on 17s than to set a good lap time. Just dont want to make it mega crashy is possible.

Jom do not make coils for s3 8L, I have got AP's in and I am extremely happy with them.

FK can really go low thou, but becomes "crashy" after a certain point.

If its your family drive then why on earth do u want to fit cheap coilovers ? Tbh I don't get fitting coilovers to pure road cars full stop ?? Even quality units will have to be backed right off to give them a chance of tracking the current state of uk roads :))

Just my opinion of course

SP.

Ive got a Set Of FK's Fitted to my Daily Commuter Bus and not had any problem with them.
though do watCh how low you go as had mine right down for a little while and pot holes wouldve broke your back.

Last edited:
JOM, FK, JAMEX, PERFORMANCE3000, they're all exactly the same product just in different boxes. A totally generic item.

Jamex for the win, they are excellent. Everybody who gets in my car comments on how great the ride is, and mine is pretty low.

If you are planning on lowering and are concious of keeping ride comfort then I would suggest fitting Polo top mounts to further lower the car, that way you can wind the coils up and keep a good compression and spring rate with decent lows.

I have ta technics which I believe are the same as Jamex JOM etc my car is very very low and used daily the ride is great to be honest mines a a3 8l non Quattro so the coil overs are the same as a bora golf etc

So... 180 for fk's delivered is ok?
i haven't found many James ones to be honest.

JOMs are slightly more comfortable and the FK AK Street are slightly better build quality, the Prosport are also a good option.

Let me know if I can be any help with info or prices.

Damian @ DPM Performance

I have just removed my fk street coilovers from my s3 that i use as my daily, as i did not like the ride of them for how low i wanted the car. I was getting a crashing feeling when hitting bumps, and a secondary bounce feeling when driving faster bumpy roads, and it felt like the whole car was off balance. i only have them on for 4 months, and when i removed them one of the resr shocks had a leak.

I re searched the fks before buying them and there is really a 50/50 split of good or bad experiences, i basically took a punt at them and kind of wish i had not now, but there are some people who swear by them so you may be happy with them.

I have just replaced them with standard shocks and apex springs 30mm springs, and the ride is spot on, and the ride height is as well.