Dont you just hate it when....

dickys3

Staff member
Reaction score
you change a part on your car to improve things and it makes it worse!

I decided that I couldn't put up with my ARB bushes squeaking any more so on Saturday I decided to change them. I got a new set (19mm) from the dealer and set about the work..

Once changed and lubed, I took the car for a run and the car squeaks more now then ever! It has gone worse!

It must be the ARB bushes as these are the only things that I have changed... Do I need to lub them again?

I'm not sure what stuff I used as I was with my bro-in-law and he had a spray can which he recons is for the job (he works for the stealer and apparently this is what they use).

Any thoughts? Everyone stops and looks as I'm driving down the road (for the wrong reasons!)

Cheers
Rich

Hi Rich,

I still had this problem, after AmD changed the whole ARB and bushes at the back of my S3, and they came to the conclusion it must been the rose joints that are creaking.

That said I'm not sure mine is creaking any more after "making progress" down some very bendy and bumpy roads.

So it may not be the bushes that are the problem, I think everyone is too quick to decide it's them because of how common the fault is!

Yeah I know what your saying...

But I still think it is the ARB bushes because changing them made it sound a whole lot worse! And these are the only items I have changed....

Perhaps some more lubricant? Grease?

Dicky is it possible that changing the ARB bushes has put a strain on something else that is now squeaking more than before? I don't know much about the arb bushes but this sort of thing is possible if the floating item has another bush mounted point

I had the same problem after changing the ARB & bushes a few weks ago.
I then had another look at the front suspension and noticed that the rear bush on the front wishbone was knackered (rear of wishbone was touching subframe in certain conditions).
I've just got a hold of two complete new wishbones & balljoints and will be fitting them this week.
I'll let you know if this cures the problem.

Cheers
Rusty

just got the lower wishbones & balljoints replaced and it has cured the creaking noise.
Once I got the wishbones off I noticed that both of the rear bushes were totally f*#k'd.
The car now feels far better.