Dogbone ****emare

mike.c1979

Reaction score
So I went to change my do gone bushes for the red TDI powerflex versions.

Turns out one on the horizontal bolts that go into the chassis has snapped and I didn't know. I've tried to get it out but its flush, even the removal taps wouldn't bite into the bolt.

I've reinstalled the dogbone with the power flex bushes.

Do you think it will be OK to drive until I get something sorted?

I've driven it tonight and double checked it and its still tight as a nuns chuff.

Cheers

Is it snapped within the subframe or the mount?

Yes it will be fine to drive on for a short while, just try not to be aggressive with the throttle. Apply loads in linear movements and you will be ok for a couple of days.

I recently posted the thread pitch and lengths in another thread, so if you do a search you will find it.

Thanks for the reply.

Its snapped in the chassis itself and its flush so I can't get hold of it with mould grips.

Think it needs heating up and drilling

flush with what though mate? Flush with the subframe? or flush with the dog bone mount?

More often than not, the bolts are still free in the subframe, but corrosion welds the bolts to the alloy dog bone mount.

When it happened on jardo's car, I used a hammer and chisel to crack the dog bone off the bolt, then the bolt came out easily.

New dog bone was found on the floor in my garage and everyone was happy.

flush with what though mate? Flush with the subframe? or flush with the dog bone mount?

More often than not, the bolts are still free in the subframe, but corrosion welds the bolts to the alloy dog bone mount.

When it happened on jardo's car, I used a hammer and chisel to crack the dog bone off the bolt, then the bolt came out easily.

New dog bone was found on the floor in my garage and everyone was happy.

The bolt is stuck in the subframe. Its snapped so that you can't get pliers round it to turn it, its flush with the edge of the subframe.

Well I got sorted!

I couldn't get the bolt out with anything lol so I drilled into the hole with the sheered bolt about an inch, it took forever. Then I got some thread the same size as the bolt, and welded it into the hole. I did it as hot as I could to fuse the metal too. Ground it all back, tested it and its in there to stay lol. I put the dogbone back on, bolts in and 2 13mm locking bolts with a nylon washer to finish it off.

Thrashed it a bit last night and it seems as it should be.

Phew