Halfords Oil

jiffi77

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Halfords 5W/30 fully synthetic oil is suitable for 2000 1.8T (AUM engine I think - facelift model), as they have this on offer 4litres for £10, any advice greatly appreciated???

It will go in the filler cap, and it is the right weight.

But you'd be mental to use it; Quantum from TPS or VAG is your best bet.

None of the £10 oil match any VW standard. (Sales manager for Halfords). Like said above, stick to TPS.

I bought 16l of the stuff - its based on sythetic stock is the right viscosity and meets the following Vauxhall /Opel GM-LL-A-025, GM-LL-B-025, BMW LL-01, ACEA-A3, B4, API-SL CF.
What wrong with using it in a 1.8T ??

The only VAG engines that need anything special are the PD engines and the ones that need low zinc content to preserve the DPF. There are no special requirements for the 1.8T afaik.

Its going in mine next year. Theres 5L of Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 in there at the moment.

Enjoy replacing your pickup pipe every 20k.

I have seen engines with 200k on them have the sumps dropped and the pickup pipe be clean as a whistle; the only thing which differs from the engines I have seen dropped and ones which are clogged after 50k is a 6000 mile service interval with only Quantum.

I don't think I have ever heard a premature wear issue from somebody who has kept that interval and oil.

The best oil for our engines is Quantum; EVERYBODY recommends it. Why not use it?

The majority engines that have suffered from sludge have been run on Quantum .... and long life service intervals.

Most oils are the same - Look at the base stock and the addictives. Quantum Synta fully synthetic gold is rated at SAE 5W-40
API SJ/CF, ACEA A3/B3.

In fact the Halfords 5W-30 fully synthetic is slightly more up to date than Synta Gold, as synta is A3/B3, the Halfords one is A3/B4.

In reality, our 1.8T engines are old tech, doesn't need to be low SAP or provide extra lube for the hydraulic followers, as the zinc has been taken out as it poisons DPFs.

VW 503.01 specification. This specification is specifically for Audi RS4, Audi TT, S3 and Audi A8 6.0 V12 models with outputs of more than 180bhp, running with variable service intervals (30,000km or 2 years). Now superceded by the VW 504.00 specification.

I'm sticking with "any old" fully synthetic base stock oil and change every 12 months. No harm to your engine in spending more though, just your wallet.

To save you from looking for it :

From ACEA A3B4-10 - Sequences - Engine Oil Additives - The Lubrizol Corporation
ACEA A3/B4-10 (Halfords FS)

Overview

ACEA A3/B4 oils are Upper Mainline lubricants. They are designed for a use in high performance gasoline and light duty diesel engines and are typically used in newer vehicles as they provide the minimum performance demanded by many OEM specifications.
ACEA A3/B4 oils are probably seen in the widest range of viscosity grades. The most common being:

• SAE 10W-40 based on a mix of API Group I and Group III, or API Group II base oils.
  • SAE 5W-40 and SAE 5W-30 based on API Group III base oils.
  • SAE 0W-30 based on API Group IV base oils.
The main physical and chemical requirements for ACEA A3/B4 are shown below:
RequirementMethodUnitLimit
HTHS viscosityCEC L-36-A-90cP≥ 3.5
Sulphated AshASTM D874%wt≤ 1.6
PhosphorusASTM D5185%wtReport
SulphurASTM D5185%wtReport
Evaporation loss (NOACK)CEC L-40-A-93%≤ 13
Total Base NumberASTM D2896mgKOH/g≥ 10.0
Depending upon the viscosity grade blended, ACEA A3/B4 is usually coupled with a range of OEM specifications including:
SAE 10W-40

• Daimler MB-Approval 229.1
  • Daimler MB-Approval 229.3
  • Volkswagen VW50200
  • Volkswagen VW50101
  • Volkswagen VW50500
SAE 5W-40

• Daimler MB-Approval 229.5
  • Volkswagen VW50200
  • Volkswagen VW50500
  • GM / Opel Longlife B
  • BMW Longlife 01
  • Porsche
SAE 5W-30

• Daimler MB-Approval 229.5
  • Volkswagen VW50200
  • Volkswagen VW50500
  • GM / Opel Longlife A
  • GM / Opel Longlife B
  • BMW Longlife 01
Changes

ACEA A3/B4 was first introduced into the ACEA Oil Sequences in 2004, however, it is based upon the original ACEA A3 and ACEA B4 sequences that were introduced in 1996 and 1998 respectively.
For ACEA 2010 a number of changes to the requirements for ACEA A3/B4 have been made which raise the performance required to meet ACEA A3/B4-08. These include raising the level of diesel piston cleanliness performance in the VW TDI engine test and the inclusion of the new OM646LA engine test, as a replacement for the OM602A, along with increases in sludge handling.
The changes for ACEA 2010 are summarised below:
TestChange for ACEA 2010
Total Base NumberA new limit of ≥ 8.0 mgKOH/g has been added
VW TDIPiston cleanliness increased from ≥ RL206 -3 points to ≥ RL206.
OM602ARemoved.
OM646LANew test added
M111SLAverage engine sludge to requirement to increase from ≥ RL140 to ≥ RL140 +4 standard deviations or ≥ 9.0%
The introduction of a minimum Total Base Number (TBN) of 8.0 mgKOH/g affects the number of ACEA sequences that can be combined with ACEA A3/B4-08. Prior to ACEA 2008, depending upon the performance of the engine oil, it was possible to combine ACEA A3/B4 with a number of other sequences including ACEA C3. However, as engine oils meeting the ACEA C Sequences are formulated to a lower sulphated ash level they tend to deliver a TBN of less than 8.0 mgKOH/g. Therefore, with the introduction of ACEA 2010 it is unlikely that engine oils meeting the ACEA C sequences will also be able to meet ACEA A3/B4.
The limits for an acceptable level of direct injection diesel piston cleanliness in the VW TDI engine test have been raised to the highest level seen within ACEA, aligning performance with ACEA A5/B5 and all of the ACEA C Sequences. Some existing ACEA A3/B4 engine oils will be unable to deliver this performance without being reformulated.
The limits for an acceptable level of sludge handling in the M111SL engine test have been raised to the highest level seen within ACEA, with every sequences now required to provide the same level of performance. Some existing ACEA A3/B4 engine oils will be unable to deliver this performance without being reformulated.
The inclusion of the new OM646LA engine test raises the diesel wear protection performance demanded from ACEA A3/B4 oils.
Relative Performance

The relative performance diagrams presented below compare Lubrizol's interpretation of the performance of requirements of the existing ACEA 2007 A3/B4-04 oil sequence with the ACEA 2010 version. As shown, ACEA 2010 A3/B4-08 represents an upgrade in piston cleanliness, wear protection and sludge handling.
594452a2-9fea-4ffd-b6c1-b41eedd8dc32.jpg

Stick with a good quality 5w40 or 5w30 oil, no Halfords oil under 30 quid for 5L is good enough for a highly strung turbo engine let alone a diesel engine ! As with everything in life you get what you pay for !

Why do blokes argue so much about engine oil?! :shrug:

Very few of us are oil experts, and I don't count myself as one at all, but I do know that all my cars have been fine on mid range (ie Halfords/Comma as well as other brands) oil for 100,000's of miles.

I make sure it's the right base stock and grade, and change it regularly.

I'd expect any car to have a clean sump/pickup after 200,000 miles if subjected to 6000 mile oil change intervals whether done with Quantum or any fully synthetic 5w/30 to be honest.

As said above, most oil pick up blockages are down to long life oil changes. The only oil pick up blockage I've suffered was with a full Audi Service History 1.8T A4 at 96,000 miles, 1500 miles after I took delivery of it. I'm not saying I'd use a '£12 for 5l' oil from Tesco (unless it was Edge or something on offer) but I'd be happy with any branded (incl Halfords) Fully Synthetic 5w/30 and changing every 6000 miles.

It's up to every individual, but I think sometimes we worry about it all just a bit much is all I'm saying... :beerchug:

Oil these days is pretty much all the same stuff, I mean u can get petrol and diesel oil in the same can, in my stockcar I use cheap oil, and just replace it more often, gotta be better than using expensive oil for long period's of time surely..

Why do blokes argue so much about engine oil?! :shrug:

Very few of us are oil experts, and I don't count myself as one at all, but I do know that all my cars have been fine on mid range (ie Halfords/Comma as well as other brands) oil for 100,000's of miles.

I make sure it's the right base stock and grade, and change it regularly.

I'd expect any car to have a clean sump/pickup after 200,000 miles if subjected to 6000 mile oil change intervals whether done with Quantum or any fully synthetic 5w/30 to be honest.

As said above, most oil pick up blockages are down to long life oil changes. The only oil pick up blockage I've suffered was with a full Audi Service History 1.8T A4 at 96,000 miles, 1500 miles after I took delivery of it. I'm not saying I'd use a '£12 for 5l' oil from Tesco (unless it was Edge or something on offer) but I'd be happy with any branded (incl Halfords) Fully Synthetic 5w/30 and changing every 6000 miles.

It's up to every individual, but I think sometimes we worry about it all just a bit much is all I'm saying... :beerchug:

It's because the writing on the bottle is usually meaningless apart for a very few groups of numbers not many understand. If it's not VAG 505.01 CERTIFIED then don't use it ! It's cheap because it's crap, period ! The low ash formulation is not detrimental and it was developed for diesel engines with modern DPF's but it's the shear resistance you're after and most cheap oils "meeting" the B3/B4 spec have formulation which are not equal. Usually the additive package differs vastly between decent oils in the £20 to £30 range. Stick to Quantum/Castrol/Fuchs oils and you'll be ok, seen too many problems with using Comma oils and as far as i know their PD 505.01 spec oil is not PD compliant and it's far from protecting the engines ! Use at your own risk !
In a 1.8T i would only use good quality fully syn. 5w40 505.01 spec and i would drop it every 5-6k max or once a year. I bet you won't have any sludgeing issues !

It's cheap because it's in a sale not because it's crap... it normally sells for £30 for 4L and if it's good enough for a Saab turbo then it's good enough for stock Audi motors... obviously if you've got a highly tuned motor the likes of Prawns then you put the good stuff in but for everyday plugging to and from work in a standard car it's fine and you can aford to change your oil a little more frequently if you stock up as i have

It's cheap because it's in a sale not because it's crap... it normally sells for £30 for 4L and if it's good enough for a Saab turbo then it's good enough for stock Audi motors... obviously if you've got a highly tuned motor the likes of Prawns then you put the good stuff in but for everyday plugging to and from work in a standard car it's fine and you can aford to change your oil a little more frequently if you stock up as i have
I'll be the one in the corner looking at you with that "I told you so !" expression on my face when your dear engine gums up ! The 30 quid oil is not the same as the one on sale for a tenner- read the specs !