Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By JudderMan
  • 1 Post By cecilthesausage
  • 1 Post By olibattman

Thread: Fitting TIP Without a Remap? 8L AUM

4th Gear

Status

Fitting TIP Without a Remap? 8L AUM

I've only found one thread from searching that sort of hints at the answer but I was wondering if it's worth fitting the new TIP to my standard AUM 1.8T? I am waiting to buy a downpipe and exhaust before heading to get it mapped, but as I have the TIP now I was wondering if it would be OK to run it?

The thread I found was yesterday and can't find it again but someone took of their Forge TIP before they were ready for their stage 2 map as it was causing boost spikes. I can't remember the exact details and am not sure if there were reasons or problems with the car that helped make the spikes worse.

Just to clarify I'm not doing stage 1 first but going straight to stage 2 once I have the necessary parts, and this will only be after I get it on the ramps in a couple of weeks to check the oil pick up pipe and give the engine a full going over to make sure it is up for it. Sorry, hate making new threads...
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport AUM K03S|Second owner|Forge 007p|CM TIP|Yellow Dogbone|Pipercross panel|Stage1Map
    WANTED: Audi A4 B7 or MK5 5Dr Golf GTi (manual)(Want to Buy December 2014 so Keep Me in Mind)

2. # ADS
    ADS

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    Fit it now mate if you have it. It cannot cause spikes, unless its fitted wrongly, which is pretty difficult to do!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Fit it now mate if you have it. It cannot cause spikes, unless its fitted wrongly, which is pretty difficult to do!
    Schweet. Cheers Prawn. That can be tomorrow's task then as I've been to B&Q and bought a load of jubilee clips as per http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...w-fit-tip.html

I've tried to dig that thread out but I clear my history everyday and can't find it. Anyhoo, no probs if you say it's good to go then it's good to go
    Birdy and Akb1987 like this.
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport AUM K03S|Second owner|Forge 007p|CM TIP|Yellow Dogbone|Pipercross panel|Stage1Map
    WANTED: Audi A4 B7 or MK5 5Dr Golf GTi (manual)(Want to Buy December 2014 so Keep Me in Mind)

...It's Never Finished...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Lol.... A mechanic managed to do it on someone's car the other day.....
    Birdy likes this.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cecilthesausage View Post
    Lol.... A mechanic managed to do it on someone's car the other day.....
    lol yeah that was a right shambles

Neutral

Status
    badger 5 has just fitted a b5 tip to my 225 he said they are fine to go on standard cars

4th Gear

Status
    Fit the TIP today and it was a pain in the arse. 3.5 hours of swearing and grrrr's. It's on now and sounds great, but I needed to blank off one of the pipes and I accidentally cut a few mms too much but it's fine.... measure once cut twice

The only other thing I have is a Pipercross panel filter and 007p. It's much more whooshy/spooly which is nice. I've got it booked in for a pre-MOT check on Friday and my friend who runs the garage will fit the dogbone, dampers and oil change (see sig) as I've got a busy week ahead and it's cheaper for me to pay someone to do it than mess my week up.

Brakes next and I got some quotes for downpipes and cat backs, so that's next maybe next month, then I'll get it mapped at RTec on my way down to London sometime and hopefully that means 215-230bhp

Can anyone confirm if this is decent or eBay tat? AUDI A3 AUM AUQ 1.8T 20v STAINLESS STEEL 200 CPI SPORTS DE CAT EXHAUST DOWNPIE | eBay I can't decide on it. Or is it worth going 3"?
    Last edited by JudderMan; 12th January 2013 at 18:20.

Neutral

Status
    Hi JudderMan, i too have an AUM A3 and i'm looking to fit a Forge TIP and 007p DV before going to see the guys at R-tech (unless i get lazy and ask them to do it for me!) - i notice you said you had to blank off one of the pipes? I read in a thread from back in 2009 that someone had the same issue with an extra pipe not needed. Seems strange if the part is Engine-code-specific? Presume you got the AUM one? ALso seems strange that in that time Forge haven't addressed that? Wondering if you or anyone else can shed any light on that and anything else about the fitting? Thanks

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by olibattman View Post
    Hi JudderMan, i too have an AUM A3 and i'm looking to fit a Forge TIP and 007p DV before going to see the guys at R-tech (unless i get lazy and ask them to do it for me!) - i notice you said you had to blank off one of the pipes? I read in a thread from back in 2009 that someone had the same issue with an extra pipe not needed. Seems strange if the part is Engine-code-specific? Presume you got the AUM one? ALso seems strange that in that time Forge haven't addressed that? Wondering if you or anyone else can shed any light on that and anything else about the fitting? Thanks
    Hi mate,

I got an AUM one but it also fits other engine codes. If you take a look at this pic on the eBay listing (VW GOLF MK4 1.8T 20V SILICONE TURBO INTAKE PIPE AUM AUQ | eBay) you'll see the lower pipe part to the left of the logo needs blanked off. I had a bolt that fit perfectly and then I jubilee clipped it in. I actually bought one from Creation Motorsport off eBay for £80 as I didn't want to pay close to double for a Forge/other make one, and yeah it's frustrating having an additional pipe that's not needed but I guess it didn't warrant creating a new style just for AUM owners.

I found it to be a pain in the arse fitting the TIP but that's because it was close to freezing and my tools break on me all the time. I found I needed to turn the whole TIP around a little as the engine cover rubs on the top of the 007. The 007 is the easiest thing to fit but the TIP needs to be attacked from underneath and above and you need little hands (and for it not to be cold).

Good luck

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JudderMan View Post
    Hi mate,

I got an AUM one but it also fits other engine codes. If you take a look at this pic on the eBay listing (VW GOLF MK4 1.8T 20V SILICONE TURBO INTAKE PIPE AUM AUQ | eBay) you'll see the lower pipe part to the left of the logo needs blanked off. I had a bolt that fit perfectly and then I jubilee clipped it in. I actually bought one from Creation Motorsport off eBay for £80 as I didn't want to pay close to double for a Forge/other make one, and yeah it's frustrating having an additional pipe that's not needed but I guess it didn't warrant creating a new style just for AUM owners.

I found it to be a pain in the arse fitting the TIP but that's because it was close to freezing and my tools break on me all the time. I found I needed to turn the whole TIP around a little as the engine cover rubs on the top of the 007. The 007 is the easiest thing to fit but the TIP needs to be attacked from underneath and above and you need little hands (and for it not to be cold).

Good luck
    CHeers for that advice, much appreciated... I had a look at the one in the link (is that the Creation Motorsport one you got?) and read the small print underneath that did say something along the lines of 'earlier AUM engines will require blanking off one of the pipes' so i guess that'll have to do, im sure theres a bolt of the right size lying around the garage somewhere! So the plan is to grab myself a FORGE/other TIP and the DV soon, shove them on myself and have a play before deciding on a re-map...
    Did you end up getting your downpipe/exhaust sorted since your first post on this thread? Enjoying the re-map?!
    Getting excited now, bring on payday and i'll be ordering my new toys to fit
    Thanks again...
    Akb1987 likes this.

4th Gear

Status
    Hi mate,

Nope I haven't fitted the downpipe/decat yet as I was waiting for my MOT (passed now but still freezing cold outside) and no remap yet as I have a wedding to pay for. The car will be the focus after that

The TIP and DV have made a difference to the mid-range is quite noticeable I found.

4th Gear

Status
    This thread's just been updated with a 'like'....Hmmm....still haven't fitted my decat and downpipe....think I need to get a move on.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JudderMan View Post
    Hi mate,

Good luck
    I have one of those you linked, considering sending it back and getting one from bbt or badger 5,anyone able to enlighten us on the differences?

4th Gear

Status
    Search Jardo's threads I'm sure he and others say the SPS TIP is the best for an A3 but not sure about an S3 if you have one, but for me the Creation Motorsport one is fine, any minimal gains I'm missing out from not having an SPS/bigger one I'm not really bothered really.