My Sump Smashing Saga

A3-Lee

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Right after a bit of advice really before i smash sump number 5! :sob: I have a 1999 A3 1.8t AGU the car is rather low and the roads around the UK are poor to say the least rather than higher the car up (bit difficult as adjuster ring is seized) what do people think to the idea of having a 3 mm or 4 mm plate welded to the sump to strengthen it as i know somebody who can do this for a good price he's a welder by trade or has anybody had experience with shallow sumps? Although to be honest Im not overly keen on the idea of the car holding less oil just looking for some ideas really because its only a matter of time before i do it again also anyone with a reasonably priced sump for sale let me know cheers lee

I think bigger tyres would sort your problem Lee, but you would lose that 'slammed' look! Have you seen the slammed grey LCR driving around? That guy takes the long way home to avoid speedbumps! lol

I have a mate with a bora that keeps smashing sumps and has just ordered a shallower sump, by about 1/2 litre I think he said. This is why I like my standard hight, speed bumps at 25mph are problem! Lol.

I do that I avoid speed bumps as much as possible but it's potholes/dips in the road that give most problems tbh bigger tyres when I need tyres may well be a option

Here's the sump I modified when I had a TT that was very low. Survived 2 years worth of abuse!
B6E07269-5469-4123-83FD-57E897D44E9B-1038-000000609690E592.jpg

Reactions: Westy
Ive got a spare AGU (no sensor sump) if you wanna buy a spare one?

I modified a steel sump from a golf mk2 GTD to fit my Scirocco, which doesn't seem to sit any lower than the bell-housing, and in my experience will take one hell of a beating (well the one on the old 8v GTI lump that was in the Scirocco did anyway). That's on an AEB though, I'm not sure if you could do the same with the other engines. (I'm pretty sure the AEB has its oil-pump driven differently and in a different place, the mk2 pick-up pipe bolted straight up.)

Does anyone make a sump guard you could fit? It'd be a much nicer solution than just reinforcing the sump it's self as that way you're not clouting the engine at all. I know you can get them for Leons as a local chap I know ordered one for his LCR the day he bought it having smashed a couple of sumps on his old A3 diesel haha.

I'd say a sump guard as well, if you strengthen your sump who's to say something else won't break instead?

The only thing I was thinking is if I raise the engine won't that bring the shafts closer to the chassis this could prove a problem as there's not a lot of clearance already I will look into shallow simp but I think my best bet is a plate welded to the sump and free the adjuster off an higher the car a touch an maybe some 45 profile tyres rather than 40 profile cheers everyone