Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By g60leigh
  • 1 Post By BenJee_S3
  • 1 Post By vrbob

Thread: Double Din Conversion / RNS-D Retro Fit

5th Gear

Status

Double Din Conversion / RNS-D Retro Fit

All done now. So here is the promised write up.

Tools needed:

T25 torx driver (short shaft is best)

Torch

Stereo release keys (4 if fitting a nav unit)

Steps:

1) Remove both side under dash panels by removing the two screws underneath and the screws behind the dash end trims.

2) Remove old stereo and trim piece around hazard switch

Slide out climate control unit.

You will now see all the torx screws to be removed.

3) Remove the 2 screws at the top, 4 on the front and also there are 2 on either side near the back of the trim.

4) The trim will now pull forward allowing you to disconnect the electrical connections and remove.

5) This will now reveal the inner cage which is held in my a screw either side.

Remove the screws and the cage will lift out.

6)Run your GPS antennae connection to the rear if the stereo and locate the receiver end up into the dash cavity. As high up as you can so it has a clear as possible line up through the windscreen.

If your also fitting TMC or TV tuner as well run the cables into the stereo area now.

7) Now it's just a case of fitting new double din parts in reverse of the above.

8) Once you have refitted all the dash panels you will be ready to install the nav unit.
    This is just a case of plugging in all the connections and sliding the unit in.

One thing to note on the install is that the RNS-D required a 'safe' feed wire.

This was simply a wire linked from the permanent live to the safe connection as shown on the wiring sticker

On mine it was the red and white cable linked into the plug hole next to it.

Notes:

Don't tighten the new inner cage until you have lined up the outer trim.

When fitting the outer trim locate the base first and it will go back in a lot easier.

Finished result

All in all it is not a difficult or long job.

It's taken me about two hours and I have done that in the dark (only spare time I could get)

To set up all the features of the nav unit you will need access to vcds to code it in.

I will add a link to the coding info below.

If you have any questions or would like extra help just let me know.
    Jay A3 likes this.

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Thanks Leigh, thread is now a sticky. x
    Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP

5th Gear

Status

Double Din Conversion / RNS-D Retro Fit

Programming the unit and dash website

http://web.archive.org/web/200710260...ogramming.html

2001 S3 (AMK)
    AEM WMI Kit, Black Silicone Hoses, Badger5 TIP with Cone Filter, AH Fabrications FMIC, Relentless Manifold Downpipe & Sport Cat, Miltek Cat Back Exhaust, VAG Aero Wipers, Forge FMDV008 Re-Circ, Revo Stage 2 Remap with SPS+ Tweaks, 2.0 TFSI Coil Pack Mod, B&M Short Shift, RNS-D Retrofit, Brembo & B5 2 Piece Rotor Conversion

Reverse Gear

Status
    Nice DIY man!!
    Can you tell me the exact model and manufacturer of the stereo to buy in ebay?
    Thanks!!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chemicalboy View Post
    Nice DIY man!!
    Can you tell me the exact model and manufacturer of the stereo to buy in ebay?
    Thanks!!
    Mine is a RND-D. Audi A3 (8L) model so straight fit on the fascia side.
    My model number is 4D0 035 192 H

I think any RNS-D will work but A4 & A6 ones etc need trimming to fit the dash. And your left with gaps at the top

Easiest way is to hang on for A3 one.

2001 S3 (AMK)

Reverse Gear

Status
    My car is a S3 8L. I think its the same that you. I have the bose sound(subwoofer, etc). Do you know is this works with that unit?
    The unit have USB for reading MP3?

I see this unit on ebay:
    Car GPS Navigation Double DIN TFT TV DVD Player Radio for 1994-2008 Audi A8/S8 | eBay

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi all, today I buyed RNS-D 4D0 035 192 H, i read that great tutorial and I have some questions:

First of all If I mount that RNS-D it will work with the DIS, my car is the A3 8L ReStyling From 2002 with CANBUS, or i need the TMC Tuner?

And If I need the TMC module can you tell me the model number of the TMC that you used?

Thank you for all and Sorry For my english.

Thats no Moon, Thats a space station!

Status
    I wrote a quick guide for installing the RNS-E system in the 8L chassis so thought i would post it here as its very similar to the RNS-D system.

Basic Guide to setting up RNSE in an Audi 8L

Items needed :

RNSE – Best from an audi B6/B7 A4 as these are the closest in size to the hole in the 8L dash. Please note in order to get the RNSE to fit properly you will need to trim it down a small bit on the sides towards the top and also on the bottom edge as you need to remove the chrome strip and then remove the excess plastic.

Stereo removal keys x 4 : Best bought as a set along with the loom from Kufatec

Fakra radio connector : to connect your radio aeriel to the RNSE again best from Kufatec

GPS aeriel : bought as part of a bundle with loom from kufatec

Loom : Kufatec will make a loom for your car after you let them know which stereo you had originally and what car you have and does it have bose or not.

Wire to run from behind dash clocks to the loom for Can High Can Low and Gala speed sensor.

Maps DVD – preferably an original as these work best.

VCDS : to be able to code the RNSE unit so that it thinks its fitted to an a^ as this is the only way to get it to function in the 8L

To Install :

In order for the RNSE to function correctly 3 wires need to be run from behind the dash clocks (speedo rev counter etc).

Remove the clocks and on the back you will see 3 connectors 1 green 1 blue and 1 grey. We need to connect a wire on Pin 31 on the blue connector and run that to the wire on your new kufatec loom that connects to the gala speed sensor in the RNSE. We then need to connect 2 more wires in the grey connector Pin 5 (Can High) and Pin 6 (Can Low) these then need to be run to the loom and connected to the same on the RNSE (please note the RNSE has a wiring guide on it to help you identify which wires these are.

Whilst the dash clocks are removed this is a good location to install the GPS aeriel too and then you can run the wire to the RNSE the same as you had with the 3 wires you just made.

The dash clocks can now be reconnected and fitted back in the dash

At this point it might be a good idea to test the setup and code the RNSE so you can confirm everything works.

Once you are happy that the unit functions correctly you can then trim the RNSE to the space you have in the 8L (take you time and remove small amounts at a time).

Once it is trimmed you can push it into the cage and it should click into place.

You should now see info displayed on your DIS screen giving SATNAV info and also radio/MP3 info.
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chemicalboy View Post
    My car is a S3 8L. I think its the same that you. I have the bose sound(subwoofer, etc). Do you know is this works with that unit?
    The unit have USB for reading MP3?

I see this unit on ebay:
    Car GPS Navigation Double DIN TFT TV DVD Player Radio for 1994-2008 Audi A8/S8 | eBay

Does anybody knows if this unit fits in the S3 8L?!?

VW Fusca 1300 (46cv) - 1967 | Placa Preta
    Audi S3 1.8T (210cv) - 2001

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Mi11ar's Youtube Channel
    Very impressive something to consider for the future

1st Gear

Status
    Anyone know if this can be done on a pre facelift a3 8l? Looking to fit an aftermarket double din to mine, but can't find a definitive answer to what I need

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow BenJee_S3 On Twitter Add BenJee_S3 on Facebook Visit BenJee_S3's Youtube Channel Visit BenJee_S3's Instagram Channel
    I have the RNS-D installed, how the hell do you get it out? Is it same as above? Removal side panels etc or will it slide out with removal keys?
    250 BHP - 300 Ft/Lbs Torque
    Miltek Resonated Cat Back, Turbo Dynamics DV, Badger 5 TIP, S2000 Filter, N249 Bypass, FMIC, JabbaSport Custom Remap

5th Gear

Status
    Two sets of removal keys needed (4 in total)

2001 S3 (AMK)

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow BenJee_S3 On Twitter Add BenJee_S3 on Facebook Visit BenJee_S3's Youtube Channel Visit BenJee_S3's Instagram Channel
    And where do they push in? There aren't any visible slots round the outside, although saying that it is pretty dark!
    Miltek Resonated Cat Back, Turbo Dynamics DV, Badger 5 TIP, S2000 Filter, N249 Bypass, FMIC, JabbaSport Custom Remap

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

I have the keys also by the way

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

I have since found where they go, very well hidden I might add! Just above and below the buttons!
    g60leigh likes this.

Status
    Just a quick update to my post as I spotted a few spelling mistakes etc

I wrote a quick guide for installing the RNS-E system in the 8L chassis so thought i would post it here as its very similar to the RNS-D system.

Basic Guide to setting up RNSE in an Audi 8L

Items needed :

RNSE – Best from an audi B6/B7 A4 as these are the closest in size to the hole in the 8L dash. Please note in order to get the RNSE to fit properly you will need to trim it down a small bit on the sides towards the top and also on the bottom edge as you need to remove the chrome strip and then remove the excess plastic.

Stereo removal keys x 4 : Best bought as a set along with the loom from Kufatec

Fakra radio connector : to connect your radio aeriel to the RNSE again best from Kufatec

GPS aeriel : bought as part of a bundle with loom from kufatec

Loom : Kufatec will make a loom for your car after you let them know which stereo you had originally and what car you have and does it have bose or not.

Wire to run from behind dash clocks to the loom for Can High Can Low and Gala speed sensor.

Maps DVD – preferably an original as these work best.

VCDS : to be able to code the RNSE unit so that it thinks its fitted to an a6 as this is the only way to get it to function in the 8L as we use the Gala speed sensor for the GPS info

To Install :

In order for the RNSE to function correctly 3 wires need to be run from behind the dash clocks (speedo rev counter etc).

Remove the clocks and on the back you will see 3 connectors 1 green 1 blue and 1 grey. We need to connect a wire on Pin 31 on the blue connector and run that to the wire on your new kufatec loom that connects to the gala speed sensor in the RNSE. We then need to connect 2 more wires in the grey connector Pin 5 (Can High) and Pin 6 (Can Low) these then need to be run to the loom and connected to the same on the RNSE (please note the RNSE has a wiring guide on it to help you identify which wires these are.

Whilst the dash clocks are removed this is a good location to install the GPS aeriel too and then you can run the wire to the RNSE the same as you had with the 3 wires you just made.

The dash clocks can now be reconnected and fitted back in the dash

At this point it might be a good idea to test the setup and code the RNSE so you can confirm everything works. This is done in the Navigation section in VCDS and you have to recode the RNS-E (The code will be something like this : 0509135 the important bit is the 05 as that's the A6 part the rest is the config on your car.

Once you are happy that the unit functions correctly you can then trim the RNSE to the space you have in the 8L (take your time and remove small amounts at a time).

Once it is trimmed you can push it into the cage and it should click into place.

You should now see info displayed on your DIS screen giving SATNAV info when using the SATNAV function and also radio/MP3 info

I still have a few PDF`s I gathered when doing this upgrade that go into more detail so if you want them you can PM me
    Audi S3 8L BAM 225 2002 - Ming Blue : Silver Heated Leather, Armrest, RNS-E - Bose, Alloy Mirrors, 18" RSTT`s, Sunroof, Cruise, AutoDim Mirror & Usual S3 Extras.
    Mods : Badger 5 Stg 2 Custom Map, FMIC, 3" DP & 200 Cell Cat, 007P, Jetex Filter & 80mm TIP & Heatshield, Complete LED Kit, Gen VW Aero Wipers, Full Powerflex Kit, R32 RARB, AP Shocks & Springs, 15mm Front & 20mm Rear Spacers, BB Uprated Actuator,
    N249 Delete & Catch Can, AP TVR 4Pot Brakes & DS2500`s, Sachs Carbon/Kevlar Clutch

Status
    Some pics of the RNS-E fitted to my car

On

Off

Display on the DIS screen
    Gops likes this.