JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Vex182 - S3 Modding and maintaining thread!

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    This evening, when I got home from work, I found time to get the turbo-to-charge pipe hose replaced. The original Audi hose had not split but it seemed to be a good idea to replace it before it did. I went for Forge as it seems a reliable replacement but much toughter to swap over than I expected! Fiddley! Pleased with that off the list now.

Silver 2002 Audi S3 225 (BAM) since March 2011.

Mods: Badger5 2.2 TIP, Jetex filter, PCV delete, 710 DV, Standard N249 in use, R-Tech Stage 1 TiV Remap, Audi TT Pedals, Red Dogbone, Polybushed tie arms. All silicone boost pipes, Michelin PS3s, Red V6 coil packs, MK4 flat blade conversion, retrofited cruise control.
    Currently: 254bhp - 276lb/ft (174bhp/ton) as of 11/02/2013 On V-Power

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Any change in power from the old one ?

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    Any change in power from the old one ?
    It does not feel any different nor sound any different but was more lively down to the fact it was 10c cooler outside!

Mods: Badger5 2.2 TIP, Jetex filter, PCV delete, 710 DV, Standard N249 in use, R-Tech Stage 1 TiV Remap, Audi TT Pedals, Red Dogbone, Polybushed tie arms. All silicone boost pipes, Michelin PS3s, Red V6 coil packs, MK4 flat blade conversion, retrofited cruise control.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vex182 View Post
    It does not feel any different nor sound any different but was more lively down to the fact it was 10c cooler outside!
    It'll be worse today then,baking hot here not complaining mind.

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Yeah I agree, I don't use the car day to day for work as I live on a bike normally. That is where the Wellycooler when fitted should come in handy!
    voorhees likes this.

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Well I thought I might update this a little bit. The Wellycooler I purchased for the car I decided to sell a few months later as I don't wish to go down the power front any more due to the value of the car being so low with how much cost it takes to increase the cars power output. I have now fitted new genuine coilpacks - in the correct red :D to make sure it stays misfire free after another failed on Christmas Eve. ( I keep a spare one in the boot so all was ok!) Also treated it again to new plugs after the others have done 6k but have not shown any wear to them.

Last edited by Vex182; 8th January 2014 at 07:55. Reason: Pictures!
    <tuffty/> likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Nice work. I need to do a build thread soon

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Well I decided to finally get some later mk4 blades and arms after using flat style ones for 18months. Very easy to fit and very pleased with the look of them. Been busy the last few two weeks changing my brothers clutch and wishbones on his 306 - taken ages due to doing it on my drive and not good in the non stop wind and rain!

Last edited by Vex182; 6th February 2014 at 09:23.
    Nilz likes this.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Look much better than the retro fit blades don't they... its subtle little things like this that freshen the car up I think

<tuffty/>
    s3mad_dude and Vex182 like this.
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Yeh they do, it's not as bulky from looking over the windscreen now. Cheera for the edit too, phone went flat at just the wrong point to sort it out! Lol

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Looking good mate.

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    And to finish off the January pay cheque, I drove the 120 miles to Awesome GTI today to have my cruise control fitted, at £120 all in, it seemed a great price. Took about 1 1/2 hours, great bunch of guys. Sat and chilled!

Bit of a annoying change of weather along the M6. Easy on the way home! I tried to see how far I could safely drove without having to use the throttle or change gear, managed just over 100 miles in the end. Also only used just under 1/2 a tank for 240 miles.

<tuffty/> and sssline like this.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    This is actually one of my favourite mods... worse thing is though is you get to find out how crap everyone else is at maintaining a steady speed lol

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

It's supposed to do that..

Status

My Social Networking

Add CMcKenzie on Facebook Visit CMcKenzie's Youtube Channel Visit CMcKenzie's Instagram Channel
    Even though I do next to no motorway miles, it's still another little 'toy' I want on my car. looking good bud.
    2000 APY S3
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    If you fit a split-r I will ban you from ASN

1st Gear

Status
    Tuffty has a point. I've got this on mine but never seem to travel far before I have to touch the brake. Gonna try to beat that 100miles sometime tho lol
    Vex182 likes this.

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    I don't use my car day to day for work so usually it's for distance driving so it's great for me. Yeh 100 miles was difficult due to drivers speeds always changing! I used the brakes a couple of times, I set it at 75mph and then brakes to 60 etc and then just let it resume and get back to to speed. Ready awesome, just a pity that nothing on the dashboard lights up to say that it is on, that would be great.

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    So another bit off the list today was to change the top mounts. I fitted new bearings and OEM LCR ones. My old ones were sticking out but they weren't causing any knocking and the old bearings were still smooth. The drive feels almost exactly the same apart from a little harder over ruts and dips. I half wish I had just gone for the strandard S3 ones and saved money now but oh well!

I changed them with the struts still on the car to make life eaiser

Nilz and <tuffty/> like this.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    the lcr ones are harder, and less likely to deform, so will last longer. think of it that way
    Vex182 likes this.

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Well a few days after I changed the top mounts, I noticed the ride was more solid without feeling to firm so that's a good point. On the other hand, this odd creaking and knocking noises started when the car was going over dips in the road. After asking some of you on here, I checked the top mounts, track rods and other bits and it turned out to be the newish antiroll bar bushes. I quickly ordered some polybush ones and all is well again! I won't do a write up how to change them as it's been covered lots before on here.

I also changed both my front driveshafts. The n/s outer cv joint was on the way out and making noises, the inner boot had also split. The o/s inner cv boot had also spilt and it seemed to make sense to just fit a new matching driveshaft. I brought some J&R branded driveshafts. £110 posted to home so very pleased. They feel well made and all felt smooth. After being fitting, there is no wobble or noises at all so first impressions are good. I will keep a eye on how they go over the next 2 months but as they have a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, they should be fine!

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    One more small update, car went in for 4 wheel alignment and it was some good news and some bad. The garage confirmed that everything at the front of the car is spot on but the rear of the car is way out on the n/s, it seems to be the bushes I replaced on the tie arms. I am right thinking that by fitting adjustable tie arms to the bottom at the back, this can be all sorted out? The garage could not promise that it would but thinks it would help anyway.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Rear toe can be adjusted buy unbolting the arms (at the chassis) and shifting them about

<tuffty/>

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Rear toe can be adjusted buy unbolting the arms (at the chassis) and shifting them about

<tuffty/>
    Oh right! I wonder if they knew that, I guess I could give it a go myself and see?

1st Gear

Status
    Good work there- what ARB bushes did you go for? Seriously tempted to get cruise done on mine after seeing this!

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by CazzaVR View Post
    Good work there- what ARB bushes did you go for? Seriously tempted to get cruise done on mine after seeing this!
    The cruise control is brill, I have used it a few times now. I went for 19mm powerflex ones, the standard purple ones but it turns out I needed the 20mm ones so I had to mod them slighty. I did fit them directly onto the bar too as the plastic collars on the bars were broken. Only a 30 minute job to do both sides, the clamps and fixings had already been replaced 6 months ago so all came off really easily.

1st Gear

Status
    I went for Powerflex as well. The bar diameter is a bit of a lottery! Got myself some digital calipers in the end- turned out to be 19mm. Pretty straight forward job really- worst bit is getting the bolts back in as they're only short.

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Yeh, the problem I had was the fiddley one on the n/s that holds the pas pipe on, just took time to get it on and off.

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Well for a while I keep getting 2 fault codes coming up every now and then:

17873 - Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor 1 (G235): Implausible Signal
    P1455 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

16712/P0328/000808 - Knock Sensor 1 (G61): Signal too High

I ordered a second hand working EGT sensor from a car being broken on eBay with a warranty so I fitted that this evening and I'll see how that gets on.

As for the knock sensor, I'm going to take it off, check and clean the connections, refit it and toque it up correctly and see if that helps, if not I'll replace the sensor or sort out the wiring for it as I have read on here that it's been a problem for people before.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I had that knock sensor fault... rewired it direct back to the ECU and it went...

<tuffty/>

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    I had that knock sensor fault... rewired it direct back to the ECU and it went...

<tuffty/>
    Yeh I read that, how difficult is that? Wiring is not my favourite job!

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Well since changing the EGT sensor, the car has been really good. No error codes showing after the last few weeks so I'll keep a eye on it. I have had these turn up from Dave so need to get these fitted and adjusted so that the toe and camber can be adjusted correctly. I'm not going to lower the car or anything like that though.

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Well I fitted the bars and got the car aligned fully so that's much better now.

In the last week of so, I have been noticing how loud my DV is and how it never used to so loud - the n249 bypass being the issue (the DV is fine, a new 710n and it was the same with me old 710n too). I ordered some new piping and rebuild the n249 pipes earlier and reattached it this afternoon. The car feels smoother to drive at low speed and on light throttle. I also like the fact that the car is quiter when I change gear.

I did plug the n249 back in after I took the photo too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12