AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

DIS showing 0 mlies

When I arrived at work this morning the DIS was showing 0 miles left in my tank.

I now have a dilema, at lunch time do I go to the Esso garage next door or do I risk the approx 2 mile drive to the Shell garage?

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status

Re: DIS showing 0 mlies

I dont think the DIS takes into account the reserve tank. Remember when Jeremy clarkson drove to germany and back in the A8? I think he got about 40 miles out of the tank when it said 0 miles left.

6th Gear

Status

reserve tank ???????? don't you mean the fuel in the fuel lines etc,

Status

I've seen the DIS reading 0 miles before and driven a few miles on to the station.

I have also heard of people running out of fuel with 5 or 10 miles showing on the DIS so its a bit of a gamble to be honest with you...

Decisions decisions....

Good luck

Warmonger

Status

yeah u need to be careful as even tho it might still have fuel in the tank to get u to a filling station the ECU can register a fault code (no fuel) and go into limp mode

i had this happen when i first got my A3 and took it to the dealer as it was coughing a spluttering all over the place with the ECU light on - they told me it had run out of fuel !!!!!
    and it registered this fault even tho it still said it had 5miles left on DIS !!!!!

Esso of course wud be the best option - who wants to walk witha gerry can along the side of the road

Status

Yeah just nip to esso and put some super in...

1st Gear

Status

I took the gamble and made it for the Optimax. OK.

My wife has had the car for the last 2 days & this was the reason for the low fuel!!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I took the gamble and made it for the Optimax. OK.

My wife has had the car for the last 2 days & this was the reason for the low fuel!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you made it!

"The wife had the car for the last 2 days" - ah That explains it then! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

imported_veccyj

I have run out before with the dis saying i had 15 miles left, luckily i was only 20 foot from the pump but i won't risk it again!

Reverse Gear

Status

You need to make sure your missus gets the car with only 5 miles left in the tank. Women aren't like men - they worry about stuff like this - they'll panic and fill it up.

2nd Gear

Status

Thing is most women will put the wrong fuel in they may get unleded correct but they wont give a toss where's its from.

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont think the DIS takes into account the reserve tank. Remember when Jeremy clarkson drove to germany and back in the A8? I think he got about 40 miles out of the tank when it said 0 miles left.

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt he go to scotland and back? this is in the 4litre TDI isnt it? 800mile round trip, wow!

S3 Drift King!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt he go to scotland and back? this is in the 4litre TDI isnt it? 800mile round trip, wow!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, at 56mph with the air-con off all the way lol.

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, he went to edinburgh, not germany... just a slight difference [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif[/img]

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thing is most women will put the wrong fuel in they may get unleded correct but they wont give a toss where's its from.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my problem, the other car is a 405 diesel ("the taxi" and obviously the wife's car) and I have the responsibility to make sure the right fuel gets in the right car [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

When I got back in the S3 I didn't realise how low on fuel it was. I looks like I was lucky.

Numptie of the highest order

Status

this is wierd, I've never run out of petrol in the S3, I've driven about 40 miles with it saying 0 on the DIS as well, that said I did manage to put 62 litres of petrol in the car when I finally found a bloody petrol station which is more that it's supposed to hold.

Regularly get past 0 without problems, never bother getting petrol before it beeps at me either...

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    this is wierd, I've never run out of petrol in the S3, I've driven about 40 miles with it saying 0 on the DIS as well, that said I did manage to put 62 litres of petrol in the car when I finally found a bloody petrol station which is more that it's supposed to hold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the S3 had a 65 ltr tank?

Myself and David R had mine down at 0...and drove a furthewr 20 miles or so with it reading 0, on the way back from GTI International last year.

We put 64.5 litres in at the next Shell station. Fortunately it was David's turn to fill it up! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    We put 64.5 litres in at the next Shell station. Fortunately it was David's turn to fill it up! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Humph. I think I won in the end [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]