1.8TQS GT2871r cam upgrade needing some advice on these piper cams am interested in

STEALTHQUATTRO

Reaction score
hi guys av been offered these piper cams that was apparently only used for 10 hours of racing then left. av noticed in the pic there is a very slightbbit of polishing on bearings but am not sure if that is common or not on steel cams.
also I need to know what performance gains I would achieve?
also I don't want the cams to wear too fast ether be too hard!
a lot get some pics up also
thanks guys

here's the spec:
race inlet and exhaust cams, in EN40v steel (not cast) with 8.4mm lift on the inlet and 9.8mm on exhaust. Also you have on both cams adjustable rear gears. The inlet has 248 deg duration and the exhaust 244 deg.
The engine was a circuit racer giving out 450bhp and these were developement cams with 10 hours approx running. I believe these were posibly machined by a german race cam supplier.

the guy just emailed me that these cams are peak power of 7k rpm. ant that bit high as am not doing solid lifters? once av put her together am bringing it to you for mapping bill.
Av got some ADR cams but am sure there a're more aggressive oem cams?!

the guy just emailed me that these cams are peak power of 7k rpm. ant that bit high as am not doing solid lifters? once av put her together am bringing it to you for mapping bill.
Av got some ADR cams but am sure there a're more aggressive oem cams?!

hydro's with decent quality oil are ok for higher revs than that. I run my hydro's to 8800rpm, have ruin them to 9krpm briefly. Motul 300V oil used.

the cams the guys selling look bespoke, not matching the piper website std offerings. they dont look too daft a spec for your spec turbo.

One thing to check is clearance on those bolt heads on the inlet cam and the vvt tensioner.. I have seen a car which had non genuine vvt tensioner and catcams which had the bolt heads hitting the vvt tensioner casting, undoing them!!! thankfully caught in time so no major carnage.

Last edited:
My badgerwagen Special Catcams (been in there since 2007)
Comparison to Catcams 3651 below:

My specs... just so they're in the same catcams thread. - comparison
3651 -----> My specials
Duration: 245 / 262° ----->246 / 268°
Valve Lift: 8.25 / 9.95mm ----->10.00 / 9.25mm
Peak Angle: 113° / 108° ----->
Timing: -9/36° / 36/-1° ----->
Lift @ TDC: 0.30 / 0.95mm ----->0.26 / 1.51mm

thanks for the reply, i think am going to need a chain tentioner soon as pads look a little worn but i only buy genuine.
he said they were made to his spec out of a 1.8t and they also come with fully adjustable cam gears.
i am wanting fastroad cam, not fussed about loosing a bit of mid as long as it improoves more top end.
after this year it's going to be a summer car not my daily.
would these be a good or is there a more aggressive genuine cam?
and can you map the VVT for performance rather than commissions?
thanks

Last edited:
nice one. do you have any idea what the gains will be on this type of piper cams?
do they look like fast road or comp ones?
ta

hi sorry but i need to let this guy know on me buying these, you was saying they dont look too drag? so what would i expect from cams with this sort of lift ect? i really dont know you see, hense why am on here asking.

gains?
idle?
mid?
top?
econimy?

thanks

I don't see any engine specs anywhere ??? your not just going to throw them in a standard motor and expect gains are you ????

no mate it's:
1.9t. je pistols. scatt rods. gt2871 turbo. genesis 550cc inj. pro alloy intercooler. jabbasport exhaust mani. 3' pipeworks exhaust. water meth.
running 362hp.

bill what's the difference between your cams in your badgerwagon and the ones am looking to get?
any idea on gains ill get?
idle? economy?
thanks

is there anymore info you need to determine any figures? is it worth getting high lift cams or not?
thanks

ok thanks Alot I understand you have to be carefull what info you give out.
do you think they will be ok for daily driving?

ok thanks Alot I understand you have to be carefull what info you give out.
do you think they will be ok for daily driving?

its not a case of carefull what I give out............ its unknown to me cams.. How can I comment on exactly what they do or not do?

hence... I cant answer the question.

try them and let us know. contribute your findings back here.

Its all about flow in the right places, But you need to get it right as you still want it to be drivable.

Most strip/race cams will kill low down power hence why i went ultimate road cams and my car is still very drivable even with its big turbo, low com, and all the head work.

its not a case of carefull what I give out............ its unknown to me cams.. How can I comment on exactly what they do or not do?

hence... I cant answer the question.

try them and let us know. contribute your findings back here.

bill are you still ok to map the car once all is in?
I just don't know how to work out how these cams will work out with my setup!
thing is I dint want to go solid lifters and titanium retainers etc. but if these cams are only good for too high rev peak it's no good!
what's the spec on yours to these am looking at? thanks for your reply

Last edited:
right the overlap is 26 degrees can this be changed with adjustable vernia pullys?
or is it set to the cam? I thought the cam is set to each cylinder but you can bring it forward or back ?