Clutch problems, Slave cylinder? in January, after Christmas..great!

cerbera4_0

Reaction score
Hey guys

I have a bad feeling that my slave cylinder has let go. Pressed the clutch in and it did not come back up. At first i thought it was the usual broken pedal until i got in the foot-well and saw everything still connected.

The clutch pedal could be pulled back to its usual position easily. After a few pushes in and out i noticed fluid coming from the gearbox area. Im no stranger around an engine bay but have never had a hydraulic clutch issue so correct me if im wrong, the slave cylinder is in/on the gearbox and actually actuates the clutch, the master cylinder is mounted at the pedal. so fluid coming fro the gearbox side would indicate a knackered slave cylinder right?

Looking under the bonnet there are definite signs of a hydraulic system letting go as there are splashes up and around the air box area. My clutch has started to slip and i was looking to replace it, just not in January.

I haven't jacked the car up to take a closer look yet as the puddle of fluid on the drive suggests its pretty catastrophic and cant be fixed with a few spanners.

assuming it is the slave cylinder which is a gearbox out job, how much am i looking for a new clutch and cylinder. Its all standard stuff and I've got a figure of at least £500 in my head. sound reasonable?

Pedal hitting the deck is not always due to the slave... if there is no obvious fluid leaking around the bottom of the gearbox where the bellhousing bolts to the block then chances are its the master cylinder

<tuffty/>

Is a puddle of fluid on the asphelt underneath the gearbox housing obvious enough lol. This leaks more if you pump the pedal as i found out earlier. Unless by some miracle its some sort of connection popped but i think im clutching at straws there. Clutching...get it, thats not even funny

That would do it :)

Check the connections but generally speaking they are secure unless disturbed for whatever reason... that would be obvious by fluid down the side of the box rather than coming out the bottom of the housing...

Gearbox off for this mate I am afraid :(

Bad times..

<tuffty/>

Yeah i know. and a kick in the wallet to boot

Your in the somerset area arent you? if so im not far from you, and i could carry out the work, ask Jardo or Prawn for a ref of my work if needed dude

Your in the somerset area arent you? if so im not far from you, and i could carry out the work, ask Jardo or Prawn for a ref of my work if needed dude

No mate, I'm in north Hampshire area.

Can any one recommend anybody in the North Hampshire area, namely Basingstoke area?