clonking noise when turning at slow speed

VAGMAN1

Reaction score
I'm getting a clonking noise when I turn the car (A3 TDI/2000) at slow speed i.e. under 20mph.

It's a clonk and happens twice when turning the wheel from centre to full lock either way.

With the bonnet open and turning the wheel, you can visibly see the passenger-side top-shock mount judder very slightly and when you hold the top mount, you can feel it clonking/juddering.

I suspected it was the top bush/bearing or a something do do with the spring, but on inspection everything looks fine - i.e. shock is not broken and seated correctly. I greased the bush as well - however the problem is still there.

help please!!!

Did you check that the spring is correctly seated and not snapped?
They tend to snap on the last coil so it is not immediately obvious that they have broken.

yep - the spring is all fine - seated properly with no cracks/broken pieces

I had a similar problem with my steering. I jacked the car up and got a mate to turn the steering slowly and I noticed that the bottom of the strut was turning nice & freely but the top would judder round.
It came down to a seized strut top bearing.
This part is only about £5.00 from your stealer.
I would recommend changing the strut top bush/rubber at the same time.

Cheers
Rusty

thanks rusty - that is excatly what it was! changed the top bush and bearing and it's all fine now.

amuses me though, because when I asked at the local stealer they said........'we've never had to change those parts before'!!!