Coil Pack Connection

metricspaces

Reaction score
One of the connections from the loom to one of my coil packs is broken. It no longer clicks in correctly. Has anyone had this problem before? What are my options here:

1) Get the complete loom from Audi (assuming they wouldn't sell just a connection).
2) Get the the connection from someone who is breaking an S3 (I rang around a few from ebay, they all want to sell the entire loom).

Any ideas?

New loom is about £30... there are a couple of people that have already done this... Westy has done a 'how to' in his build thread... new loom replaces the broken plugs and damaged wires (which you will have as they all do)

<tuffty/>

Oh, £30 for a brand new loom doesn't sound too bad. I think I might go with that option so as I guess I'll find it hard to get one connector on its own off someone. Cheers.

Not sure what you mean by them all having damaged wires? Most are damaged, but still work?

The problem with my connector from the loom to coil pack is just that the connector doesn't click in properly, so it doesn't hold tightly to the coil pack.

The wiring cracks and shrinks mate... have a look though Westy's thread for an idea... its one of the more recent things he has done so start from the last page and work back :)

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Westy
my number 4 coil pack connector has been broken since i bought my car. So i found the best and easiest way to keep it on was to use a cable tie round the coil pack and back through around the connector as this is now nice and secure. Never had anissue and just put on a new cable tie when i change the pugs etc.

Am wondering if this will stump Audi on monday when my car goes in for its new coil packs under the recall so will have to check it out when i get it back

We do indeed! :) These can be found here:

These are designed as a straight fit to all 150 / 180bhp 1.8T engines with the 'Church window' shaped connectors.
Unfortunately they will need to be modified to fit the 225bhp engines.

Hope this helps guys!
Cheers, Al.
Awesome Ltd.

Cheers for that Tuffty. I took a quick read through. I would be getting an auto electrician to do this for me. So it looks like it could end up costing a bit, up to 3 hours labour? Not sure if they would go to the effort you guys have gone to, so may not even want to do it?

I'm not getting any misfires. So I think I will see if I can source a connector, as that will be a lot quicker job for the auto electrician to fix.

3 Hours?? done these in a lot less time than that mate... 1 hour tops IIRC

<tuffty/>

Yeah, I had read that you did yours in around 1hr Tuffty, I think Westy mentioned closer to 3hrs. So I'm guessing an auto elect would be in between 1 - 3hrs, if they would even go to the same effort as you guys.

I will talk to the auto elect and see what he thinks. He just suggested to replace the connector. So I would rather do what he is comfortable doing, rather than taking on something I suggest, that he may not have done before, and me ending up with something less than perfect and a big bill.

If I can't get hold of a second hand connector I can always buy the loom for £30. From this thread here GolfGTIforum.co.uk - An independent forum for Volkswagen Golf GTI enthusiasts. it seems the part number is 1j0 971 658 L . This is the loom without the wiring for the oil level sensor.

Thanks Andrew. I just gave Audi a shout and it's £34 for the part. Awesome is £30. I'm in Ireland, so it works out cheaper from Audi for me.

The part number 1J0 971 658M is for the part including the wiring for oil level sensor. My S3 doesn't have an oil level sensor, so I was thinking 1J0 971 658L would be the one I should go for. If I decide to just replace the one connector it won't matter anyway as the rest of the loom will just go in the bin :)

Last edited:
Thanks Andrew. I just gave Audi a shout and it's £34 for the part. Awesome is £30. I'm in Ireland, so it works out cheaper from Audi for me.

The part number 1J0 971 658M is for the part including the wiring for oil level sensor. My S3 doesn't have an oil level sensor, so I was thinking 1J0 971 658L would be the one I should go for. If I decide to just replace the one connector it won't matter anyway as the rest of the loom will just go in the bin :)

Your S3 will have an oil level sensor but its irrelevant... the loom itself is designed for K03 cars (Golf and A3's) not K04 cars... you will need to splice it in (cutting and soldering the wires) to fit it....

I used the loom without the level sensor on my S3 as it worked out cheaper and I wasn't going to use the sensor wiring anyway

<tuffty/>

Oh, I had thought that the early S3's didn't have an oil level sensor. Mine never comes on, even if the oil is below the min mark on dipstick. But looking back on an old thread I had, I see someone mentioned that the sensor is so low that even when the dipstick is dry it will not come on.

As I am not getting any misfires and all I want to do is fix the connector to the ignition coil so that it clicks into place, I think I'll probably just replace the connector.

If I can't find a connector from the breakers, I'll go for the loom from Audi.

If I am looking in the breakers for just the connector what cars will have a matching connector? I presume any Audi A3 8L will do? What about other VAGs?

If I am looking in the breakers for just the connector what cars will have a matching connector? I presume any Audi A3 8L will do? What about other VAGs?

Any VAG that has the later push down coils or bolt downs coils and drive by wire throttles... AGU's and AEB's etc won't fit...

<tuffty/>