AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    2nd Gear

Status

Battery Drain / Help Please

As the title states, my 2001 s3 8l seems to have a flat battery when it is left un-driven for a couple of days.
    I got a local garage to check for any drains and all they came back with was to replace my battery as the one which came with the car looked undersized and didn't fill the battery holder fully. So i have done this today and replaced a cheap and nasty battery with one of these:

Bosch Audi S3 Battery 027 3 Year Guarantee | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

The swap was easy enough, however i took the car out for a run after the install and when i parked back on the drive i left the car running for a couple of minutes then turned off the ignition and walked round to the front of the car where i heard an electrical wining noise. I opened the bonnet and its coming from under the inlet where the alternator is located. I researched this on the forum and have seen other people posting about this issue. I timed the noise and it lasted for 11 minutes. Surley this drains the battery?

If anyone has any ideas of can offer some advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Adam P

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Check your central locking pump isn't staying on, as has been know that it will keep trying to pump if the vacuum isn't made to lock the door...

what HU do you have in the car? Standard or an after market one?

Also have you put a volt tester on the battery whilst's the car is running? Should pump out about 14V and when it isn't running about 12.5, run the car for 5 - 10 minutes and check the voltage again and it should read 12.5 ish (same as when first tested before Starting the car)

also as far as I am aware the noise you are hearing is the after-run pump.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam P View Post
    As the title states, my 2001 s3 8l seems to have a flat battery when it is left un-driven for a couple of days.
    I got a local garage to check for any drains and all they came back with was to replace my battery as the one which came with the car looked undersized and didn't fill the battery holder fully. So i have done this today and replaced a cheap and nasty battery with one of these:

Bosch Audi S3 Battery 027 3 Year Guarantee | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

The swap was easy enough, however i took the car out for a run after the install and when i parked back on the drive i left the car running for a couple of minutes then turned off the ignition and walked round to the front of the car where i heard an electrical wining noise. I opened the bonnet and its coming from under the inlet where the alternator is located. I researched this on the forum and have seen other people posting about this issue. I timed the noise and it lasted for 11 minutes. Surley this drains the battery?

If anyone has any ideas of can offer some advice it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Adam P

Have a look at this thread

Water pump running on after ignition off & draining battery - help please
    Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

Guess what I drive...

Status

My Social Networking

Add Vex182 on Facebook
    Sounds like the after run pump. Feel the coolent hose near the inlet manifold, should feel the coolant flowing. Normal for it to run for a few minutes then turn off. Helps cool the turbo down, normal for this!
    Silver 2002 Audi S3 225 (BAM) since March 2011.

Mods: Badger5 2.2 TIP, Jetex filter, PCV delete, 710 DV, Standard N249 in use, R-Tech Stage 1 TiV Remap, Audi TT Pedals, Red Dogbone, Polybushed tie arms. All silicone boost pipes, Michelin PS3s, Red V6 coil packs, MK4 flat blade conversion, retrofited cruise control.
    Currently: 254bhp - 276lb/ft (174bhp/ton) as of 11/02/2013 On V-Power

thats me

Status
    that S3 battery is a little light , I had one and continued to have problems with battery drain. Went for a S5. Had to order one for a audi 80 I think as ECP list the wrong sized batteries for the S3 they are too long and won`t fit. They even tried to tell me there wasn`t a S5 for my S3 lol but there is
    red to red black to black blue to bits

2nd Gear

Status
    Thanks for the responses guys, lots of useful info for me to take on board.
    The car has been absolutely fine since the battery change. So fingers crossed the problem is cured. However if the battery does drain again i will test the alternator and look at my head-unit as it is an aftermarket alpine one.

Cheers
    Adam P