EM TuningVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

S3 Rear Wheel FAILED - HELP PLZ

right so my mates just called me and said he was driving home from work and he could feel the back end dragging - he then sent me these pics

now some history - back in nov 12 we took his car to the dyno for a power run to see what it was putting out and the car was fine no issues atall...

when they went to dyno it they went to remove the haldex (4wd system) fuse as these need to be dynod in fwd however the fuse could not be locted as the panel was slightly different. the dyno guy removed a fuse which we beleived was the right one but it wasnt and instead caused a nasty clutch burning smell.. the car was strapped down while being driven and the back wheels were unable to turn even though they were trying to when accelerating..

now we then soon realised that the car was stuck in permamnent 4wd, so they backed the rear wheels onto the rollers to dyno it using all 4 wheels..

when we left the location his back wheels would lock up on tight turns, much like driving with a welded diff - now he got used to this and has been driving ike it daily until tonight he explaned what ive put above...

saying the back wheels are like there dragging so i presumed the haldex system has failed and locked up completely but then when he sent me these images it looks like an arm could have snapped or something....

any audi experts know of a haldex to cause this or are we looking at another issue here unrelated??
    my mate is not mechanicly minded in the slightest and im stuck at work until 7am so looking for someone in the know plz
    Deposit down - B6 Audi A4 1.8T (190) Sport - Daily Drive - Pajero Lwb 2800TD(the Truck - Drift Car - Nissan 180SX (S14a Front end) - FOR SALE - Subaru Impreza RB5 Ltd Edition #096 4k!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    i think that looks like a snapped rear tie bar, probably just near where it joins the back of the hub.

the rear wheels locking on tight turns is probably the rear diff.

someone please correct me if im wrong, this has never actually happened to me

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by danger S3 View Post
    i think that looks like a snapped rear tie bar, probably just near where it joins the back of the hub.

the rear wheels locking on tight turns is probably the rear diff.

someone please correct me if im wrong, this has never actually happened to me
    yeh i know it has a haldex problem hence the wheels locking but i wanted to know if this was related.. thanks
    Deposit down - B6 Audi A4 1.8T (190) Sport - Daily Drive - Pajero Lwb 2800TD(the Truck - Drift Car - Nissan 180SX (S14a Front end) - FOR SALE - Subaru Impreza RB5 Ltd Edition #096 4k!!

4th Gear

Status
    As danger said, looks like he has had a tie bar fail/break/snap/whatever.

In regards to the haldex, I'm betting the clutch plates have welded together inside the haldex section of the rear diff causing the haldex to be permanently engaged. If they couldn't find the fuse all they needed to do was apply the handbrake and that would disable the haldex.

It highly unlikely to be related to the tie bar failure. The cause is usually the ball joints in the hubs seize which forces the tiebar to flex in ways it wasn't designed to.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis583 View Post
    As danger said, looks like he has had a tie bar fail/break/snap/whatever.

In regards to the haldex, I'm betting the clutch plates have welded together inside the haldex section of the rear diff causing the haldex to be permanently engaged. If they couldn't find the fuse all they needed to do was apply the handbrake and that would disable the haldex
    ok where can i get a tie bar? on ebay there a few hundred pound and adjustable.. stock item would suffice

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    As already mentioned... this is related to the ties bars breaking.. the rose jointed bushes seize which cause the arms to fracture... this is not related to a haldex issue...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    As already mentioned... this is related to the ties bars breaking.. the rose jointed bushes seize which cause the arms to fracture... this is not related to a haldex issue...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Neutral

Status
    stand by, more pics being sent now and he just said some bar is hanging down lol

Neutral

Status
    ok here we go

is this the tie bar?

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    yep, snapped aftermarket tiebar there. Not a standard item at all.

Hopefully the makers mark in son there somewhere to perhaps claim under warrrenty, or buy one single arm

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Ah... an adjustable tie bar that broken....

I have seen the nuts come loose on these before... if this happened to these then the looseness of the screwed fitting will have weakened it and obviously the result is what you see here

I can't be sure but they look like KW tie bars... these have been reported to have snapped before by another member on here... I run these myself but I do check they are secure quite regularly...

<tuffty/>

3rd Gear

Status
    Yep. Are they KW tie bars?

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan Pics View Post
    yep, snapped aftermarket tiebar there. Not a standard item at all.

Hopefully the makers mark in son there somewhere to perhaps claim under warrrenty, or buy one single arm
    hang on a minute this is not a standard item ie this item has been fitted since leaving the factory?

sorry but im bit confused, as if these are all an aftermarket item then surley i can remove both sides and the car should be fine to run without them?

also how easy to remove/fit are they? looks simple enough undo the shock etc??

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Yes these have been fitted at some point after leaving the factory, probably the same time as the lowering springs.

You will need to buy 2 standard ones and live with the camber due to it being lowered, or find out what brand it was and try to buy one as stated.

Neutral

Status
    Yes these have been fitted at some point after leaving the factory, probably the same time as the lowering springs.

You will need to buy 2 standard ones and live with the camber due to it being lowered, or find out what brand it was and try to buy one as stated.
    yer just done some research and now know these are a must when lowering..

so i see 2 options;
    1. fit stock springs and tie bars but is it worth it? ie how much are stock tie bars?
    2. get a new pair (unlikley ill find one tie bar same as this) but how easy are these items to fit?

will i need new bushes, poly or stock?

are these any good?
    AUDI S3 ADJUSTABLE TIE BARS FITS AUDI A3 S3 TT R32 QUATTRO | eBay

5th Gear

Status
    im pretty sure thats a modified standard bar so the weakpoints are still there. sure i read one of the forum experts sayin this about these bars when i was looking. sure someone will correct me if im wrong. saying that if the bushes are the main reason they snap replacing these might make them ok. daz

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    The biggest problem with the std arms (and modified versions of them) is more to do with the bushes seizing than anything else... if the bushes are ok or replaced then these 'should' be ok...

<tuffty/>

Brum brum

Status
    I have one (driver's side as it happens) KW adjustable tie bar available after my passenger side one snapped in exactly the same place. I now run the Forge ones.
    But don't know if you would want to take the risk.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Brum brum

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    ....I can't be sure but they look like KW tie bars... these have been reported to have snapped before by another member on here... I run these myself but I do check they are secure quite regularly...
    <tuffty/>
    That'll be me...
    Jason

1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs356 View Post
    I have one (driver's side as it happens) KW adjustable tie bar available after my passenger side one snapped in exactly the same place. I now run the Forge ones.
    But don't know if you would want to take the risk.
    yes im interested in this part mate - pm me a price please

well this is the pic i took today of the snapped bar - can anyone confirm what this part no refers to - stock or kw etc??

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    KW ties bars dude

<tuffty/>

Neutral

Status
    great thanks guys - whos the uk distributor of these?

Badger 5 Edition

Status

Neutral

Status
    great help thanks, any advice on fitting one of these?

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Neutral

Status
    cant find a good read for one thanks

looking for maybe a how to or something on here

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by reepers13 View Post
    cant find a good read for one thanks

looking for maybe a how to or something on here
    ..then use the search facility on here or look at the stickies as I have posted how to search the site using Google to get better results..

Sorry mate but you are gonna have to put a little leg work in ;P

<tuffty/>

Brum brum

Status
    yes im interested in this part mate - pm me a price please
    pm sent
    Jason

Neutral

Status
    Is there anyway of checking the bushes to make sure there ok?

Neutral

Status
    ok bumping this again...

my mates s3 was doing 70-80 when the same side bar snapped again.. needless to say no damage other than the snapped bar..

decided he wants steel ones now.. seen a set on ebay but can anyone recomend where else these are available please?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Has he checked the bushes are ok? for it to snap again it would suggest the bushes have seized...

<tuffty/>

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Has he checked the bushes are ok? for it to snap again it would suggest the bushes have seized...

<tuffty/>
    no its not been looked at yet but it will be fixed if thats the problem also... just need to find some decent tie arms in steel to help prevent this from happening again

Neutral

Status
    no its not been looked at yet but it will be fixed if thats the problem also... just need to find some decent tie arms in steel to help prevent this from happening again
    Yes but i think Tufftys point is it doesnt matter what the bars are made from, the issue is the bush is seized, not that bar isnt up to the job. With the bush siezed the weight of the car will be bending the bar back and forth ALL the time - accelrating/decellerating/potholes etc., and it has to give. Change the bush and an OEM bar will last the life of the car.

Neutral

Status