Egt sensor help needed.

markyR

Reaction score
Hi Guys. I downloaded vagcom lite and done a scan on my new s3 and I have egt temp sensor 1 open or shot to plus code present p1453-35-00. The code clears and comes back. I have removed the sensor and seems quite pitted on the end, the pins all seem ok and traced the wiring visually all the way back to the scuttle panel all ok and cleaned my earth points under the battery. I've been doing a bit of research and everyone recommends checking the wiring. Has anyone had any problems with this code coming up? I realise my sensor might be pooped due to pitting (look over heated) but wiring could also be at fault. Is there a fellow member with the full version of vag com that might be able to lend a hand in Leicester city center? Many Thanks Mark.

as much as I would like to break that post up my enter button doesn't work...weird.

The sensor wiring to box thing fails causing issues. The box is mostly sealed and non serviceable. Although some have tinkered. The issue is they are expensive to replace and without it the car will probably remain in limp mode

...not to mention it will pour fuel in... default strategy is to run very rich when the EGT probe has an issue and this will give bad mileage and potentially bore wash leading to premature engine damage (personal experience of this)

<tuffty/>

ah yes tufty that does seem typical fault of these sensors goin down, im taking it east atm. I understand its a sensor with wiring and a controller box. but I thought people were not getting rid of the fault when replacing the sensor as they had wiring faults to the plug or further down the lines. Does anyone have any wiring diagrams for the 20vt engine? as I traced as far as I could thinking there may be a join for me to check to but didn't have too much luck with that. Cheers Mark.

Checked the lines for continuity from the egt plug to ecu and all ok. Checked between pins on the sensor box and lines on sensor and no continuity, then checked between the lines just on the sensor and did have continuity so my fault lies with the controller box on the sensor. New sensor on order, then hopefully she'll be purring like normal.

Hey up have you ordered one from a dealer ? These sensors are pretty regular on ebay nowadays , I got a replacement one for £50 a year or so back which has been fine. They are shockingly expensive brand new !!

I tried but they were shut being Nye. I've seen them on ebay too thanks sean but they seem a bit of money even for a second hand one and might just be worth the plunge for a new one, saying that there is one place who gives a 14 day money back but how decent that is I don't know. Cheers Mark

I know what you mean. I had already had a brand new one fail on me just after a year so i decided on a used one, I just couldnt bring myself to spend £200 on a sensor again !! Touch wood its been ok so far.

if you get a new one can i 'buy' your knackered one please? Let me explain my Ko4 has the egt sensor hole but my car doesnt have the sensor, so atm ive put a bung in it, so id like a sensor, working or not, to bolt up so i dont have any issues