Monster MotorsportBadger5
    1st Gear

Status

Egt sensor help needed.

Hi Guys. I downloaded vagcom lite and done a scan on my new s3 and I have egt temp sensor 1 open or shot to plus code present p1453-35-00. The code clears and comes back. I have removed the sensor and seems quite pitted on the end, the pins all seem ok and traced the wiring visually all the way back to the scuttle panel all ok and cleaned my earth points under the battery. I've been doing a bit of research and everyone recommends checking the wiring. Has anyone had any problems with this code coming up? I realise my sensor might be pooped due to pitting (look over heated) but wiring could also be at fault. Is there a fellow member with the full version of vag com that might be able to lend a hand in Leicester city center? Many Thanks Mark.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    as much as I would like to break that post up my enter button doesn't work...weird.

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    The sensor wiring to box thing fails causing issues. The box is mostly sealed and non serviceable. Although some have tinkered. The issue is they are expensive to replace and without it the car will probably remain in limp mode

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    ...not to mention it will pour fuel in... default strategy is to run very rich when the EGT probe has an issue and this will give bad mileage and potentially bore wash leading to premature engine damage (personal experience of this)

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

6th Gear

Status
    my [Return] key doesn't work either when posting on ASN using IE
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

1st Gear

Status
    ah yes tufty that does seem typical fault of these sensors goin down, im taking it east atm. I understand its a sensor with wiring and a controller box. but I thought people were not getting rid of the fault when replacing the sensor as they had wiring faults to the plug or further down the lines. Does anyone have any wiring diagrams for the 20vt engine? as I traced as far as I could thinking there may be a join for me to check to but didn't have too much luck with that. Cheers Mark.

1st Gear

Status
    Checked the lines for continuity from the egt plug to ecu and all ok. Checked between pins on the sensor box and lines on sensor and no continuity, then checked between the lines just on the sensor and did have continuity so my fault lies with the controller box on the sensor. New sensor on order, then hopefully she'll be purring like normal.

1st Gear

Status
    Hey up have you ordered one from a dealer ? These sensors are pretty regular on ebay nowadays , I got a replacement one for £50 a year or so back which has been fine. They are shockingly expensive brand new !!
    S3 Big Turbo

1st Gear

Status
    I tried but they were shut being Nye. I've seen them on ebay too thanks sean but they seem a bit of money even for a second hand one and might just be worth the plunge for a new one, saying that there is one place who gives a 14 day money back but how decent that is I don't know. Cheers Mark

1st Gear

Status
    But do I just risk it for a biscuit!

1st Gear

Status
    I know what you mean. I had already had a brand new one fail on me just after a year so i decided on a used one, I just couldnt bring myself to spend £200 on a sensor again !! Touch wood its been ok so far.
    S3 Big Turbo

4th Gear

Status
    if you get a new one can i 'buy' your knackered one please? Let me explain my Ko4 has the egt sensor hole but my car doesnt have the sensor, so atm ive put a bung in it, so id like a sensor, working or not, to bolt up so i dont have any issues