S3 Pre facelift to facelift headlights advice.

S3-Steve

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm looking to upgrade to the facelift headlights on my S3. I'm aware of what's involved with regards to cutting the wing etc. The thing is, my mate has given me a set of facelift headlights from his a3 8l, however as these are not xenon i'm not sure if they're of any use.

Should I not bother with these and try and source the xenons, or is there any way I could use the xenon components from my current lights; or would anyone recommend buying an HID conversion kit?
think.gif

Cheers,

Steve

Mines a pre s3, i ditched the **** xenons, bought some new facelift a3 lights, fitted a 6k Hid kit and mever look back mate.

Cheers mate. I might have a look into that then. Is the conversion kit easy enough to fit?

im looking to put facelift lights on mycar too. what is the process of cutting the wings? is it a big job to do as iv not seen a thread with work being carried out?

Mines a pre s3, i ditched the **** xenons, bought some new facelift a3 lights, fitted a 6k Hid kit and mever look back mate.

mate, I'm down sheff tomorrow, Monday and Tuesday. If your free, I gotta see how your lights are. If its any good then I think I'm just gonna do that! Was it hard to wire?

im looking to put facelift lights on mycar too. what is the process of cutting the wings? is it a big job to do as iv not seen a thread with work being carried out?

If you remove the indicator housing, there is a "lip" of metal behind that needs to be cut out (IIRC). Without removing it, the facelift lamps won't sit back enough to allow you to bolt them in.

Think I'll go for the Hid conversion on the a3 lights then. Could any of you recommend the best kit to buy? Thought it would be a hassle at first but if it's easy enough to fit i may as well. :yes: It'll save a few quid too.

Cheers rob! I was wondering if it will defo be brighter than the ****ty xenons I got. And also if I'd need to do something with the wiring as facelift lamps are different connections. We need to link up dude!

Took a few pics when I did mine
you need to cut off this bit
E590BD51-4AAA-42F7-9837-D80BC0A0FA3C-4143-0000052BAEB5D9A6.jpg

pie used a makitia 10v reciprocating saw and some tin snips I also had to cut some of the plastic behind where the light goes you will see when you fit them which bit to cut mine are just face lift a3 not Xenons
E2D608DF-EFD3-46D0-A1D2-9C3E1CCAEC54-4143-0000052BB64B6FF5.jpg

16203846-EA53-4394-AC27-10E05E1CF35A-3912-0000051457E1E771.jpg

583E29A8-B867-44BD-A172-983B9FE8FF27-3912-000005147EB86A3F.jpg

As for the Xenons I bought some off eBay and they fit the standard lamp holes as the s3 xenon lamps don't fit
hope this helps

As above, really easy todo, hardest part is cutting the wing.

I wont be free today or tomorrow gops but think i am tuesday, drop me a text and well try to sort something.

this i like :thumbsup:, i have the a3 facelift with 6k hids and the pre-facelift s3 and i have to say the a3 lights are much brighter, i have been looking for a pair of s3 facelift lights but they are going for silly money so i may look into doing this myself? does the auto leveling still work on the a3 headlights?

As above, really easy todo, hardest part is cutting the wing.

I wont be free today or tomorrow gops but think i am tuesday, drop me a text and well try to sort something.

cheers mate! Ill text you ;) I was just confused about the connectors on the a3 facelifts were round and the ones on my car are squarish.. Lol

any information on the auto leveling of the non-xenon a3 lights people? do we really need auto leveling if the are set right in the first place?