Volks AutosAH Fabrications
    Reverse Gear

Status

Loosing Power in 3rd gear?

Alright Chaps - bit of a odd one this. It seems "Sometimes" not all the time I will loose power in 3rd gear. I first noticed it going up a slight inclined hill outside a petrol station - I put it down to spilt oil or something. Then it happened once again after a roundabout - I put it down to cold icey roads (because when it cuts the power the traction light is on flashing) It has since happened more and more and seems to be only in 3rd gear sometimes 2nd (when gaining speed) and it will cut the power down to around 20mph and the traction light is going mad - I have to shift up or shift down to regain my speed again, Any ideas as to what this may be?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Car model? year? mods? checked for fault codes?

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Sorry Mate Duh !!! Should of provided this Audi A3 8L - TDI 130 - 2003 - All Stock. (Havent Checked for fault codes just yet, awaiting my checker to come through the post) I will add though this has all started since I got two new front tyres.

5th Gear

Status
    what make are the tyres, are they budget/premium? my esp light comes on if i go over drains/manholes.

Reverse Gear

Status
    There just budget tyres - couldnt afford much right before christmas lol - Yeah mine "did" the same when going over manhole etc but now this restricts me completly and its deffo not when I go over a manhole etc now and can last for half a mile sometimes. It picks its moments however.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Is the steering wheel on straight?

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Reverse Gear

Status
    Perfectly.

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Need to scan for faults really... a link to where to look up the codes in the stickies (or the link in my sig) then post up your results... don't know what code reader you are getting but this would ideally be done using VCDS...

Have you tried turning traction control off and see if there is any issues? generally speaking for ESP/TCS to kick in randomly its down to faulty ABS sensors and/or wiring... typically a front sensor is at fault... reason for asking about the steering wheel is that the column has a sensor for the steering angle... this is part of the ESP/TCS system... if the wheel is wonky (normally from a badly done wheel alignment) then the system thinks the wheels are slipping when driving straight as the wheel is off centre... it expects all wheel speeds to be the same and the steering angle to be dead centre... it compensates for the speed difference when turning (so it doesn't think the faster turning wheel is actually wheelspin and not due to it being turned in) as it knows where the steering wheel is... if any of these sensors aren't in the calibration range or faulty then all sorts of funky ABS/ESP/TCS stuff happens..

<tuffty/>

Reverse Gear

Status
    Wow .... Thanks Tuffty - Thats one hell of a explanation, you certainly know your stuff - I will post back the results I get. Also on another question Can the Audi 8L TDI 130 support any ODB2 Bluetooth equipment for like on the fly readings?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Yes... I use the Torque app on my Android phone with a bluetooth dongle... be warned though it can be very laggy... there is no substitute for VCDS tbh when it comes to proper fault diagnosis but the Torque app works ok as a quick check if I don't have my netbook or laptop handy

<tuffty/>

Reverse Gear

Status
    How about this? VAG GROUP USB OBD2 II KKL ECU DIAGNOSTIC CABLE LEAD Compatible VCDS-LITE or 409 | eBay and thats a winner for android because it seems I need a Wifi Dongle for Iphone lol?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    That lead is fine... I have posted about VCDS lite in the link in my sig...

<tuffty/>