Badger5Sky Insurance
    S3 OFU

Status

Unhappy S3 Engine issues

My S3 has spent the last 3 months on my parents drive gathering dust. My Dad drives it every week for a few miles just to keep things ticking over. While I'm back home for Christmas I thought I'd take her out for a spin. All was well until about 5 miles in and the car developed what feels like a misfire. I have a liquid gauge on board that is giving me 2 fault codes; 16396, 1670, I've googled the fault codes but I'm not a mechanic and don't have a clue about engines. The car pulls fine until 3500 rpm which sadly suggests a turbo issue The engine revs cleanly when not under load. I've tried searching the fault codes on the net and forum but I'm not finding anything with similar symptoms or just the two codes being kicked up. The car is a 2001 model, with a B5 tip and remap, not sure if that information is relevant or not but it can't hurt. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

Sandy

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    16396/P0012/000018 - Ross-Tech Wiki

cant find the other someone on here will be able to assit you more

S3 OFU

Status
    Already been on Ross-Tech. The idle is fine, it's when the boost kicks in that the problems begin

3rd Gear

Status
    it may not be the turbo, if the car thinks there is something wrong it will go into safe mode, trying to keep it below 2500rmp

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    The 16396 code is one that comes up if the cam belt is out a tooth or the VVT isn't working effectively (due to a worn cam chain tensioner....)... the other code you need to post again as its only a partial code...

Currently I see 3 codes on the wiki it could be..
    16705/P0321/000801 - Ross-Tech Wiki
    This is the most likely one as you are experiencing misfires... this is the crank sensor and if it fails then the engine will not start... when intermittent it can cause misfires...

16706/P0322/000802 - Ross-Tech Wiki
    Similar to the above but generally symptomatic of the engine failing to start...

16709/P0325 - Ross-Tech Wiki
    Not one I have seen before but I have had signal too high/low before... fairly sure this wouldn't cause misfires but would reduce engine performance as the ECU would be blind to engine knock and would protect itself accordingly

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

S3 OFU

Status
    Hi Tufty,

Thanks for the response, you are correct with your guess, it should've read 16705. The car has 125000 miles on it but the timing belt appears to be in good condition, no teeth missing etc, I'll go down the speed sensor route first and see if that resolves anything. Is this an easily fixed problem, I know a few people handy with a spanner, or one for the professionals?

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    I would check when your belt was done.... they are supposed to be done every 70k or 5 years.... dealers don't swap out the tensioner damper and these fail which cause the belt to slip a tooth... normally get a corralation fault code with that though...

Crank sensor is a bit of a bugger to get to... its in the lower right of the block from the front of the car... this may help...
    VWVortex.com - DIY: Replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor in 2.0L engine

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

S3 OFU

Status
    Ok, had a look at the guide. I'll get it booked into the garage tomorrow, might as well get the timing belt checked out. Thanks for all the help