Badger5AH Fabrications
    Neutral

Status

AUM 1.8t either running poorly or not starting at all!

Hey guys, having massive issues with my A3 1.8t (AUM). This is following an engine conversion from the 1.6 (AVU).

Basically, it will have days where I will turn it over and it will start and idle fine but then, when it's running it's very jittery, it's as if the turbo boost is cutting in and out and it can't decide whether to go or stall, it will drive very slowly even at full revs. Alternatively, some days it will turn over all day but won't start.

The fault codes I'm constantly getting on VCDS after clearing everything and trying again are as follows, I've already changed the camshaft sensor and MAP sensor so I can't see those being the problem:

4 Faults Found

16621 - Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31): Signal too Low
    P0237 - 35-00 - -
    16490 - Manifold / Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71) / (F96): Implausible Signal
    P0106 - 35-00 - -
    16727 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Signal too High
    P0343 - 35-00 - -
    18041 - Accelerator Position Sensor 2 (G185): Signal too Low
    P1633 - 35-00 - -

Any help would be much appreciated, as I am at the edge of my wits over here.
    FOR SALE:
    FACELIFT AUDI A3/S3 8L TAIL LIGHTS.
    BREAKING COMPLETE 1.8t 5 DOOR MODEL.
    PM INBOX me if you are interested all parts available, thanks!

2. # ADS
    ADS

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Wiring I would imagine... check all the earths... for a lot of sensors to give fault codes like that there will no doubt be an underlying problem... its rare for any of these sensors to go wrong but when they do play up its normally wiring related and considering yours is a conversion then thats only going to add to the issues you have here...

If you have spliced the loom in or used a loom from a damaged car then who knows what issues you are likely to have....

Good luck, wiring faults can be a bugger to track down....

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Wiring I would imagine... check all the earths... for a lot of sensors to give fault codes like that there will no doubt be an underlying problem... its rare for any of these sensors to go wrong but when they do play up its normally wiring related and considering yours is a conversion then thats only going to add to the issues you have here...

If you have spliced the loom in or used a loom from a damaged car then who knows what issues you are likely to have....

Good luck, wiring faults can be a bugger to track down....

<tuffty/>
    Cheers. We were thinking wiring fault too. We've not spliced the loom, we're using the engine loom up to the ECU as well as the engine loom from the ECU to the interior from the donor AUM engine. We are however using the original AVU 1.6 interior loom but I can't see that being problematic.

How many earth's are there in total guys? that's certainly what we'll check next.
    FOR SALE:

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Most of the relevant earths are under the battery tray... there are two posts from memory....

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    My guess would be from doing similar stuff, you have missed a power feed somewhere. On all the occasions I have done an OE wiring upgrade/ swap, there was at least one extra power wire needed . The 1.8 t loom from memory will expect a feed to go into the car thru a fuse and back to one of the engine power feeds

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Most of the relevant earths are under the battery tray... there are two posts from memory....

<tuffty/>
    Tuffty we tried cleaning those two up already, oddly enough it did seem to make starting a bit better but turned out not to be the root of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Byzan Pics View Post
    My guess would be from doing similar stuff, you have missed a power feed somewhere. On all the occasions I have done an OE wiring upgrade/ swap, there was at least one extra power wire needed . The 1.8 t loom from memory will expect a feed to go into the car thru a fuse and back to one of the engine power feeds
    Interesting Byzan, this sounds promising. Would you kindly elaborate on what you mean here?
    FOR SALE: