Badger5AH Fabrications
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    88

    AUM 1.8t either running poorly or not starting at all!

    Hey guys, having massive issues with my A3 1.8t (AUM). This is following an engine conversion from the 1.6 (AVU).


    Basically, it will have days where I will turn it over and it will start and idle fine but then, when it's running it's very jittery, it's as if the turbo boost is cutting in and out and it can't decide whether to go or stall, it will drive very slowly even at full revs. Alternatively, some days it will turn over all day but won't start.


    The fault codes I'm constantly getting on VCDS after clearing everything and trying again are as follows, I've already changed the camshaft sensor and MAP sensor so I can't see those being the problem:


    4 Faults Found


    16621 - Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31): Signal too Low
    P0237 - 35-00 - -
    16490 - Manifold / Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71) / (F96): Implausible Signal
    P0106 - 35-00 - -
    16727 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40): Signal too High
    P0343 - 35-00 - -
    18041 - Accelerator Position Sensor 2 (G185): Signal too Low
    P1633 - 35-00 - -



    Any help would be much appreciated, as I am at the edge of my wits over here.
    FOR SALE:
    FACELIFT AUDI A3/S3 8L TAIL LIGHTS.
    BREAKING COMPLETE 1.8t 5 DOOR MODEL.
    PM INBOX me if you are interested all parts available, thanks!

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,583
    Wiring I would imagine... check all the earths... for a lot of sensors to give fault codes like that there will no doubt be an underlying problem... its rare for any of these sensors to go wrong but when they do play up its normally wiring related and considering yours is a conversion then thats only going to add to the issues you have here...

    If you have spliced the loom in or used a loom from a damaged car then who knows what issues you are likely to have....

    Good luck, wiring faults can be a bugger to track down....

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  4. #3
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Wiring I would imagine... check all the earths... for a lot of sensors to give fault codes like that there will no doubt be an underlying problem... its rare for any of these sensors to go wrong but when they do play up its normally wiring related and considering yours is a conversion then thats only going to add to the issues you have here...

    If you have spliced the loom in or used a loom from a damaged car then who knows what issues you are likely to have....

    Good luck, wiring faults can be a bugger to track down....

    <tuffty/>
    Cheers. We were thinking wiring fault too. We've not spliced the loom, we're using the engine loom up to the ECU as well as the engine loom from the ECU to the interior from the donor AUM engine. We are however using the original AVU 1.6 interior loom but I can't see that being problematic.

    How many earth's are there in total guys? that's certainly what we'll check next.
    FOR SALE:
    FACELIFT AUDI A3/S3 8L TAIL LIGHTS.
    BREAKING COMPLETE 1.8t 5 DOOR MODEL.
    PM INBOX me if you are interested all parts available, thanks!

  5. #4
    <tuffty/>'s Avatar
    Badger 5 Edition

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gloucestershire
    Posts
    15,583
    Most of the relevant earths are under the battery tray... there are two posts from memory....

    <tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

  6. #5
    Broken Byzan's Avatar
    Photographic Moderator

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Cardiff, United Kingdom
    Posts
    12,521

    My Social Networking

    Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    My guess would be from doing similar stuff, you have missed a power feed somewhere. On all the occasions I have done an OE wiring upgrade/ swap, there was at least one extra power wire needed . The 1.8 t loom from memory will expect a feed to go into the car thru a fuse and back to one of the engine power feeds

  7. #6
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    Most of the relevant earths are under the battery tray... there are two posts from memory....

    <tuffty/>
    Tuffty we tried cleaning those two up already, oddly enough it did seem to make starting a bit better but turned out not to be the root of the problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Byzan Pics View Post
    My guess would be from doing similar stuff, you have missed a power feed somewhere. On all the occasions I have done an OE wiring upgrade/ swap, there was at least one extra power wire needed . The 1.8 t loom from memory will expect a feed to go into the car thru a fuse and back to one of the engine power feeds
    Interesting Byzan, this sounds promising. Would you kindly elaborate on what you mean here?
    FOR SALE:
    FACELIFT AUDI A3/S3 8L TAIL LIGHTS.
    BREAKING COMPLETE 1.8t 5 DOOR MODEL.
    PM INBOX me if you are interested all parts available, thanks!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. air con / after run water pump not working ugh!
    By colicabcadam in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 4th July 2011, 17:12
  2. Blue smoke for 2 seconds on startup after 1 week of not running... Worried or Not??
    By kevin00 in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 18th March 2011, 18:08
  3. RUNNING POOR
    By catA4 in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 3rd July 2010, 20:06
  4. Over run water pump not working
    By Speedy Steve in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12th February 2010, 16:35
  5. S3 no power and running really rich, NOT MAF!!
    By malcolm30029085 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 11th January 2010, 18:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO