What headlight bulbs do I need?

LoopTrooper

Reaction score
One of the headight bulbs has gone on my wifes A3 TDI. It has Xenons.

Is that the car in the pic?

I can't see any headlight washers on the bumper, are you sure it has factory Xenon's?

It certainly has projector dipped beams, in which case it will be an H7 bulb.

If it does have factory Xenon's, then it should be a D2s bulb.

if it's an aftermarket HID kit fitted, then H7 seated capsules should be available easily and fit most HID kits.

My last facelift A3, a 2002 TDI quattro was definitely H7 dipped and H7 main, so you need to check what is already fitted to be 100% sure. A lot of bulb websites listed the dipped as H1, but that was wrong.

Hi tooks

99% of the ebay and online application charts are wrong for the facelift 8L

I think some aftermarket headlamps are H7/H7 like the DEPO brand ones
and if you have built in foglamps (Factory Option) you might have H7 dipped beam

Hi tooks

99% of the ebay and online application charts are wrong for the facelift 8L

I think some aftermarket headlamps are H7/H7 like the DEPO brand ones
and if you have built in foglamps (Factory Option) you might have H7 dipped beam

Yes, I know they are. 99% of them listed the dipped bulbs for my 2002 facelift A3 TDI quattro as H1, when they were in fact H7...

What I'm saying is, the OP needs to check whether his wife's car has Xenon's or not, and if not to check what is already fitted as dipped headlights for non Xenon facelift A3's seem to come in either H1 or H7 fitting. Mine were the original headlights (my family or I owned the car from new) and did have factory fog lights (H1 fitting) although like all 8L's down in the bumper. I still have two HID kits in the shed with H7 bulbs that used to be fitted to it, so I haven't gone mad! :icon_thumright:

The VAG group have always varied some components on their cars, that's why the chassis number is important when ordering bits. Maybe H7/H7 is a rarer configuration than H1/H1, but best advice is to check and not go on what folks like me say on the internet! :lmfao: